looking for threads - mortar fragility?

I don't know of any previous thread, but several aspects come to mind:

Of course, you might use the mortars with a spotting HQ, not exposing them.

3" mortars are easier to knock out because of the small crew. Abadon is a different issue, though, veteran helps here.

It also helps to have mortars deep enough in the woods so that LOS is possible *only* to the target, but not other positions left and right of the target.

Be careful with the crews of KOed mortars, they are very valuable victory-point wise.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ropey:

I do these things, but quite often 'accidental' rounds even 20-30m away end in an abandoned or KO mortar. My MGs are not this fragile, so what gives? :confused:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think your computer has just rolled you a bad set of random numbers. ;)

I've had it go both ways. I've had mortar crews that stuck out a terrific pounding and others that, like yours, cut and ran the first time a shell fell in their neighborhood. Same for MG crews.

Michael

[ 05-26-2001: Message edited by: Michael emrys ]

Since the latest patch (whenever that was) my mortar crews also seem quite content to abandon their tubes at any provocation. I would like to believe that I have only been the victim of a couple “bad die-rolls”, but it’s a much more regular occurrence (at least on my computer ;)) to think its simply bad luck. I reckon that heavy base plate; tube, bi-pod, and all those nasty rounds of ammo are too much of a pain for my digital mortar crews to think about lugging about on my computerized battlefields.