Another Mod announcement - CMMOS compatible Commonwealth infantry

Darknight has added a bunch of Canadian sleeve insignia for Canadian troops in WW II to my CANUCK site. I am currently working with Gordon and Maximus on putting all this together into CMMOS friendly rules-sets for you few who might care about such things. The CMMOS rules will revolve around Andrew Fox's excellent Hi-Res uniforms (thanks Andrew).

If there is an interest for lo-res CMMOS Brit/Canadian files, let me know.

This is all in the planning stage right now, and Maximus and Gordon are busy working away on some other exciting stuff, but I just wanted to see if there was any interest in this.

I am working at a testbed project regarding CMMOS rules for Canadian uniforms worn at Dieppe.

Clubfoot, are you still working on SSMs for Dieppe scenarios?

I haven't done any work yet because if you are, there is no point in my duplicating what you've done. I just wasn't sure how much planning, scenario design etc. you've done. I have done zilch, and probably won't have the time to do much - but I am quite interested and quite willing to leave it in your capable hands if you are thinking of going ahead.

I do think a serious of related scenarios is the way to go - with success at the coastal batteries, for example, affecting the At Start forces available to the Allies for scenarios set on Blue and Green Beaches, and the outcome of the battle for Blue and Green (Puys and Pourville) affecting At Start setups for the main beach assault on Red and White.

I think a shingle beach terrain tile would be a nice substitute for the present rough terrain, with some water in there, too ala your Utah Beach mod.

I also think the talk recently about victory conditions not encoded into CM would be a natural for this; I did a quick test to see if victory points could be given to a commando force for exit, for example.

Consider - scenario set on a coastal battery - the commandos start on map and must destroy the gun crews; after which the boats arrive as reinforcements, and victory points are given for exiting the commandos off the water edge of the map.

Didn't work too well, but I made the mistake of having a victory flag - it requires more testing, anyway.

There is also the problem of having engineers clear anti-tank obstacles on the main beach. In real life, they were killed before they had the chance, but in CMBO, there is no way to breach these obstacles. Perhaps the obstacles could be simulated with anti-tank mines, instead?

I had done a little work on a Dieppe raid scenario, but got off track. I'd be happy to start again and see what I can come up with.

The simulated beach obstacles/AT mine swap is a good one. It would simply require changing the 'Achtung! Minen! Panzer' sign to resemble an obstacle. Of course, this would rule out the use of AT mines in other parts of the scenario.

I'll see what I can do.

I've also been working on a little mini-campaign system (maybe w/ a quasi-campaign utility) which provides for a branching, multi-directional ersatz campaign.

I think the Dieppe series you describe would fit the bill for a test run.

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: Clubfoot ]

Email me so I know I have your email addy right, and we can probably discuss this at length off forum - unless others want to join in the discussion.

I am not sure that the AT obstacles at Dieppe were anything but concrete barriers, quite frankly - and an iron gate at the eastern edge of the esplanade.

I have a good order of battle for the Germans from a board game by Simulations Canada, and great photos of the main beach from the book DIEPPE THROUGH THE LENS (as well as detailed order of battle for the 14th Tank Regiment - down to the names of the crew/vehicle and which landing ship they were on...

I think an interactive campaign type would be a great idea - but lateral rather than linear, as I have described. If your commandos don't make a dent on the coastal batteries on Orange and Yellow Beaches, for example, your troops going in to Blue and Green will be in bad shape - either fewer in number, or their status changed (ie ALERTED, PINNED, etc., due to heavier defensive fires), or both.

The idea has a lot of merit.

I envision it as a Canadian player versus the AI kind of campaign; perhaps you have a different idea(s)?

Gordon has given me RuleSet 402 for now; if I can get it to work in CMMOS we can include specific terrain, vehicle mods, etc.

Ok if I understand correctly you are asking if we care to have shoulder patches for our troops? Well, this is the first silly thing I have ever heard from Michael Dorosh and that's why I hesitate to answer thinking it's some sort of trick question or something but if you are serious I would say the answer is a great big loud - YES PLEASE! and thank you. It would be super to have an assortment to choose from and in my opinion greatly improve the appearance of the game and the fun. Love you. :D

Ok,

Let's see if we can throw some gasoline on the fire and try out FOTKI at the same time.

Here's an image of the Dieppe Churchill I've been working on. This particular image uses an early development version of Feldgrau's upcoming Churchill mod so it's still a little rough. When Feldgrau's mod is released nobody will look at a Churchill the same way again.

DieppeTest-vi.jpg?1002858315

Gordon

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Gordon ]</p>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lcm1947:

Wow! you made it actually look good and that's a neat trick cause it's so ugly to begin with. No really that is great looking. Damn you guys are good!!! :eek: The detail is - is - well perfect.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Credit (or blame smile.gif) for the detail goes to Feldgrau. I just rip-apart, reassemble and repaint others' mods. :cool:

Gordon