Missing from CM - an attack whistle sound MOD needed

Did the German officers still use the whistle to mark the start of attacks in 1944 ?

There was an incident when a mob of Finnish soldiers almost lynched a German officer for litterally blowing a sneak attack on Soviet positions in a dense forest where surprise was all important.

No, that's WWI stuff you're thinking about... it's bad enough the movement of your troops will clue in an observing defender, but sounding a whistle to wake them up and aim in ahead of time with an HMG42/88mm is a bad idea. WWII's weaponry was bad enough...

Nope, whistles were used by most of the major combatants in WWII because they were unjammable comms. The Soviets used them for infantry work quite a bit, from what I understand; and it's still in their SOP to use them when comms are down.

I know that when I did section training, I used whistles because they can be heard even over gunfire.

German and British whistles were very distinct from each other too - the British used the "bobby" type whistle, while the German whistle was described as sounding like "a robin being castrated." (I think the whistles that hockey and football refs use have a similar pitch).

I believe the modern German Army still uses a similar whistle, while many police forces in the Commonwealth use bobby-style whistles.

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]