Fewer radios in CMBB - what about pre-battle plans ?

I just re-read the online article and this caught my eye. If this has been debated to death already please direct me to the well so I can drink from it. If not:

There will be less radios in CMBB, which is right and proper.

What I hope for is an enhanced pre-battle planning to draw up plans as most units will be sluggish in responding to orders. In CMBO it is not a big problem but if the delay times for changes in orders to take effect is increased but the turn cycle is still 60secs in CMBB there would be a call for a Plan A/Plan B style set of preset orders that the units would be carrying out with minimal delays while any changes in them would carry the appropriate delay penalties.

For the attacker it could well be in the form of movement orders given during set up phase. For the defender it would be a little trickier to implement.

Flame on. smile.gif

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: tero ]

If you could order units to pause at a waypoint it might be feasible to issue several minutes worth of orders at a time. That would be kind of like a battle plan. Of course this does not address the Plan A/Plan B situation. Also, I believe that the "pause at waypoint" idea has been suggested before and I think it ended up in the not-going-to-happen category.

Very good idea. Hope it gets in. I hate that pause, but understand why but still hate it. Seems to me it could be built in, the delay, but do we have to see it? Not a programmer myself I don't know if what I just said makes an sense but I know what I mean.

That is a damn good idea. Even if the pause at waypoint command cannot get in, the ability to preplot even a couple moves, with some kind of time advantage would be helpful, especially for smaller engagements.

WWB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Even if the pause at waypoint command cannot get in, the ability to preplot even a couple moves, with some kind of time advantage would be helpful, especially for smaller engagements.

WWB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It would be in line with historical facts as well. For one the Soviets were big on pre-programmed events. Also, IRL the force commander of any army seldom started giving orders and drawing up initial plans just when he was about to go over the point of no return.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

Eric,

I brought the pause between waypoints idea not even a week ago, and Mad Matt said it could still happen. They were very busy at the time, and didn't have time to answer questions. So I dropped it for the time being. I plan to ask again in a week or so.

Bump.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No pausing at waypoints is NOT going in, I said that SOME of what was brought up we were looking at implememting but that is not one of them.

In short, allowing pauses (and we debated back and forth for weeks on this) was decided to give TOO much control over the troops in an environment which is decidedly uncondusive to such co-ordination.

However, there are changes to the whole C&C and Delay system which will help greatly to address the concerns of needing such pauses.

By the way, you can ask all you want about stuff but we will not be answering with details anytime soon. :(

Madmatt

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

Even if the pause at waypoint command cannot get in, the ability to preplot even a couple moves, with some kind of time advantage would be helpful<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean preplot a couple moves with a decision tree as above, or do you just mean preplot several moves worth of orders for units? I regularly preplot many turns worth of orders for units-- especially in larger battles where I might execute a flanking maneuver through unoccupied ground. If you plot 5-6 turns worth of orders with waypoints at useful places (so they can be rerouted into better cover) you can move quickly and without delays. You can also change the type of move (e.g. from sneak to run) without time penalty. Very useful for plotting assaults right behind the arty or smoke.

If you plot 5-6 turns worth of orders with waypoints at useful places (so they can be rerouted into better cover) you can move quickly and without delays.

This is true. But not quite what I had in mind. I was thiking about the ability to plot moves during set up and have 0sec delays in execetion from the start rather than just being able to plot them during turn 1 and be subject to delays.

In CMBO start up this is not a problem but if the absence of radios make the units have long (30+sec) delays in execution the start of the operation will take more time that one would like it to take in a 20min scenario. And it would give the units with radios an ahistorical advantage in the initial start up of a mission.