1.1 filesaving change/bug for PBEMs

In my cmbo\PBEM directory, I have a number of sub-directories for saving my PBEM files of different opponents

eg. cmbo\PBEM\jim

cmbo\PBEM\joe

cmbo\PBEM\bob

Until 1.1 final, when I was asked to provide a filename, in the appropriate box I would type "jim\jim01" which would put PBEM file jim01 into the jim directory.

Now, in 1.1 final, if I type "jim\jim01", I get a file in the *PBEM* directory called "jim jim01".

I've tried it over and over, and then went back to 1.05-1.1b24 and verified that:

1. Yes, I used to be able to do this.

2. No, now I cannot.

It's not showstopping, but I've got a bunch of PBEM's going on, so it is irritating.

engy

Sounds like a side-effect, possibly unintended, of one of the fixes. If I recall correctly, the readme mentioned that the file-saving logic would change potentially problematic filename characters into spaces. Sure sounds like the "\" is getting converted into " ".

My guess is the logic probly does this for any non-alphanumeric. Do I win a slot as a beta tester for CM 2? smile.gif

Wow. Good detective work. (I guess I should have read the list of fixes.)

Hmmm...maybe we could change that little extra bit of code to not include "\" (or actually even "/", which is how I usually typed it, being only recently weaned from unix. smile.gif)

engy

I think BTS should allow the '\' character, especially since you cannot select a directory to place the file in when you save it.

I don't know about the '/' character though. Engy, are you sure that character will save the file to a sub-directory in CM? I don't think Windows supports that syntax. Are you using Mac by any chance? I don't know how they handle this.

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

Very interesting.... Yes, I read that this was a patch to eliminate characters that would cause cross platform mac/pc problems. A mac can actually name a file scott/game2.txt

If sent to a windows machine, that would cause problems because NO files are allowed to use / or \ in filenames.

Macs, on the other hand, use a : (colen/colon)sp? internally to handle directories and paths.

hardddrive:applications:games:combat mission

You don't see that very often, but a few applications have you type in paths that way.

Hope this helps....

Scott Karch.... MacAddict smile.gif

Well, if Karch is correct in saying that a Mac will accept the '/' in the filename, then unless BTS codes it to detect which platform the game is running on, and then decides whether to accept a '\' or '/' based on the platform, I would guess we're stuck with the current fix.

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.