What Are The Most Overrated/Underrated Units In This Game?

Oh, yes; ObOT:

The most overrated weapon in the game is the King Tiger. On the steppe, with kilometers worth of visibility, it may rule the world; but at CMBO ranges, i.e. under 1km, they're nowhere near worth what 3 Pz IVs would be; and that's roughly how much they cost.

The most underrated weapon is the Haig tactic. Buy tons and tons of green troops and march them slowly but surely through a hail of MG and infantry fire. By the time you lose 70% of your troops, the enemy you're facing has run out of ammo and even your little nancy-boy infantry can mop them up.

Overrated:

British 3in mortar.

Has bunch of ammo, not like that german 81mm which runs out of ammo just as it's getting in effect.

very cheap for its benefit.

(I just love to bog down advancing troops in the open and shoot them with MG's)

Underrated:

88mm Püppchen AT launcher.

It fires accurately and scores kill on a hit almost against anything.

Compared to recoilles rifle, this baby reloads faster, shoots more accurately and will kill on a hit.

Fairly cheap for what it can do.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian:

Funny, I'd have said that nice straight line of tracer was more than adequate as a pointer, myself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never seen a 40mm AA tracer, unless the AA gun has been identified. Generally one can spot the muzzle blast. But often enough the location is wrong, because the muzzle flash is from a sound contact.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Actually, the Archer was a very successful and populat SPAT gun. It lasted in the British Army well into the 1950's and in several Arab ones into the 1960's.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And the Archer dies to 20 mm rounds at 800 meters. The game does not handle Archers well. The vehicle can't hunt in the correct direction. Thus for the points, it's overrated.

Overrated: I'll go with the uber 37 mm halftrack, as well. Maybe tanks do not kill them as easy as they should, but man... If you need a tank to kill a Halftrack, something is not doing his job. Bring the .50 cal, please....

Underrated: British Tanks. In CM ranges, the late war Churchills are really wonderful to be used.

Overrated: I think that Jabos are overrated. Having air support is always nice, but I've never actually seen the rockets/bombs HIT anything, usually about half of their fire is directed at FRIENDLY forces and they're far too prone to getting lost/shot down.

I'll rather have a Kingtiger or a pair of 105's than a Jabo. BTW, I think that King Tigers are certainly not overrated. The added slope to their armor makes them a much tougher nut to crack. Usually in large games I buy 3-4 of them (assuming we're not using tank type restrictions), put them on a nice hill and let all hell break loose. They're certainly NOT close combat vehicles, nor are they "blitzkrieg" type tanks (too slow and vulnerable to infantry/flank attacks), but if you get a platoon or so in overwatch positions then you have a decisive advantage. One of the AARs on the CMHQ ("fionn vs. some poor sap that gets his face bashed in") provides a good example of how to use these vehicles properly, and conduct armored attacks in general.

Kinda went off on a rant there.. heh

Underrated: Axis light armor (assault HT's, armored cars). In closed terrain games a few of those armored cars armed with short 75's backed up by a platoon or so of 50mm ones can be a real problem for Allied armor. I've found that in small QB games (~1000 pts) these units can really prove their worth, back them up with an ATG or two and the enemy will be running for the rear in no time.

Edit: One tidbit to add... The German assault halftracks are tough little bastards too, in my last game one of them shrugged off TWO hits from my last Sherman before succumbing, and the sherman was then killed by a 75mm "C" round from another HT.

P.S.: Add more AAR's to the CMHQ! Those are a great read.

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Specterx ]

I consistantly see the Puma used, and when I first started playing I used it a lot too. Which is strange because i think in pure game terms it is overpriced. Maybe it's popular because people like the idea of the Puma and the broad niche it fills more than the reality? Maybe it's popular because it's not in the armour section?

I can't think of an underrated unit. Most underpriced units are used to death. I like seeing Marders though. It means your opponent is willing to really WORK for a victory. Not just stick a tank on a hill.