1.12 and pillboxes

arn't pillboxes alittle hard to destroy? can I get advice on how to take them out. I hit a hard MG pillbox from behind nine times, range from 50m down to 20m with an M4A2. Three rear door penitrations two times MG HIT the rest for no damage. Still the box keeps fireing. Help..... Runaway!!!!!!!!!!!

I would say that's very unlucky. Most of my pillboxes have the life expectancy of cardboard in a hail storm.

Try a quick battle and buy the germans a bunch of boxes and you a bunch of bangy stuff and see how it goes.

PeterNZ

------------------

- Official owner of the sig files of Dalem, Croda and JeffShandorf -

Der Kessel scenario design group

Combat Vision movies

Originally posted by Tokar:

arn't pillboxes alittle hard to destroy? can I get advice on how to take them out. I hit a hard MG pillbox from behind nine times, range from 50m down to 20m with an M4A2. Three rear door penitrations two times MG HIT the rest for no damage. Still the box keeps fireing. Help..... Runaway!!!!!!!!!!!

The battle is one of the original scenarios from the first vershion could it be a bug???

The only pillboxes I have fought were in that beautiful hilly defense scenario on the demo, and I was surprised at how easily I destroyed the pillboxes.

When the scenario opened I was terrified of those pillboxes and slunk around the map like a curr with its tail between its legs. Then my shermans crested that hill on the left side of the map and came in LOS of the pillboxes. I thought "Oh geez, here we go..." but then the next turn a few shots from the sherman and it was knocked out!

In glee I swept down the valley and met the mines...

Pillboxes in my opinion are too easy to destroy.

In the demo one of the pill boxes is sitting out in the open on top of hill. I've noticed every piece of armor tends to target it as a primary threat and start pounding the thing. The crew would tend to want to get out of that situation to stop the ringing in their ears if nothing else.

------------------

Cos

A bug having the pillbox crew stay inside? I don't think so. How about this; There's these explosions banging away on the pillbox like the hammers of hell. I am now in a concrete reinforced or hardened bunker. Thoough it is very noisy, dust, dirt and debris is flying about with bits of concrete stinging exposed body parts perhaps, the choice is stay inside and trust the walls to withstand the hits they were designed to, or run outside into the malestrom.

Now there may or may not be an issue with them being penetrated too easily, but that's a differnet kettle of fish.

BTW - Where'd you get the M4A2? wink.gif EDIT: ...Oh, I just noticed the French get that variant. Never played as the French...

[This message has been edited by Dirtweasle (edited 03-21-2001).]

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

A bug having the pillbox crew stay inside? I don't think so. How about this; There's these explosions banging away on the pillbox like the hammers of hell. I am now in a concrete reinforced or hardened bunker. Thoough it is very noisy, dust, dirt and debris is flying about with bits of concrete stinging exposed body parts perhaps, the choice is stay inside and trust the walls to withstand the hits they were designed to, or run outside into the malestrom.

Now there may or may not be an issue with them being penetrated too easily, but that's a differnet kettle of fish.

BTW - Where'd you get the M4A2? wink.gif

From a used tank salesman... He seem nice enuff..

Cos:

The crew would tend to want to get out of that situation to stop the ringing in their ears if nothing else.

One real-life example where that didn't happen:

During the preparation phase for their major offensive on February 1940, the Red Army brought forward 203 mm howitzers to conduct direct fire on Finnish fortifications at Summa, namely the "Million" and "Poppius" bunkers.

When they started to pound Poppius, one of the defenders realized that the bunker wouldn't withstand a direct hit. He tried to convince the rest of the crew to go out in the trences, but they refused, thinking that it was more safe inside. A few minutes after the guy had left the bunker, it got a direct hit, collapsing its Western end and burying ~10 men alive.

- Tommi

Guest Rollstoy

Originally posted by Tokar:

Three rear door penetrations two times MG HIT the rest for no damage. Still the box keeps firing.

I noticed that there are three MGs in the MG pillbox. So maybe it was the remaining one that kept firing, which would be somehow cool. The unit stats [Enter] should tell you more.

I used MG bunkers in a self-made "Bridge of Remagen" scenario, which was based on my memory of the corresponding movie. They were taken out from the front with one shot each. Maybe I underestimated the width of the Rhine, thus the high Allied accuracy. On the other hand the battery of four 88s on the high ground (as seen in the movie) caused a lot of havoc in the American column.

By the way, are these M24 tanks in the movie?!

Regards, Thomm

There were complaints that the pillboxes were too easy to destoy so they were made more resilient in the latest patch, but not by much. I find they do live a little longer, but they are still too easy to knock out as far as I am concerned. I usually suffer a damaged gun before the pillbox is knocked out.