Need help with creating a virtual CD (OT)

I have a game that my cdrom constantly has troube reading-only if I'm very lucky will I be able to read it.

So what I am thinking of doing is downloading one of those programs that create virtual cd's on your computer so that you dont need the actual cd

Has anyone done this before? I'm just wondering how complicated it is. I know it eats up a lot of harddrive space but it's worth it I think. Does it just create a certain folder with the game or does it create a 'fake' cdrom drive specifically containing this game? Also is it fairly permanent or inconvienent to get rid of? What I'm wondering is if I decide I don't want it can I just hit the delete button?

Thanks for any help you can offer me!

Canuck- sorry, can't help you, but other people might be able to use this.

Mac users- There's a program called Disk Copy that lets you do this. It creates a copy of the CD on your hard drive, so you never have to have the disk in your drive.

Disk copy should be in your Apple Extras folder. If not, download it here. http://hotfiles.zdnet.com/cgi-bin/texis/swlib/hotfiles/info.html?fcode=MC11539&b=mac

Using Disk Copy is pretty easy, open the program and drag and drop the CM CD icon onto the window. Save it as read only compressed, and go have dinner or something, because this will take quite awhile. There will be a file called Combat Mission.img where you saved it. Open it, and it will launch a copy of the disk onto your desktop. CM will reconize this as the CD, and you can play.

Keep in mind that a copy of CM will take up 336 megs of hard drive space.

------------------

The Last Defense- Made any scenarios? Send them here!

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

[This message has been edited by 109 Gustav (edited 03-31-2001).]

Go to www.zdnet.com, then go to the "Downloads" section and do a search for "virtual cd" and it should give you a bunch of choices. They are all pretty good, I use one myself. Just read the descriptions and choose the one you like best.

[This message has been edited by Panzer Leader (edited 03-31-2001).]

I was looking for some help myself. I downloaded and installed Virtual Drive. Seems to be very straight forward. What I'm not of is (assuming I've created the virtual copy of CM correctly) how do I switch CM from looking at my CDRom drive and start looking at this new drive?

Sluggo

I have Virtual Drive also now. It's an excellent program and I found it by searching for a previous thread. I haven't had any problems. Also I don't have to 'tell' my computer to look at this drive instead of the other one. It does it automatically.

Originally posted by sluggo:

I was looking for some help myself. I downloaded and installed Virtual Drive. Seems to be very straight forward. What I'm not of is (assuming I've created the virtual copy of CM correctly) how do I switch CM from looking at my CDRom drive and start looking at this new drive?

Sluggo

Some games have to be installed from the virtual drive. They look only to the cdrom that did the install. I have been using virtual drive for quite some time, and find it very good. If you have the hard drive space it is better than burning cds for backups.

With the full functioning product that you purchase, it allows you to make selective copying. this way you dont have to copy everything on the cd, like demos and other junk. It also will do compression, which is usually in the 20-30% range.

One thing I do is to edit the shortcut to the program, to auto load the virtual cd and run the pgm. This way I never have to manually insert the virtual cd images using the gui. This is useful if you have many virtual cds, and are switching between them.