Why did you bother ??

Hy,

After 10 tries at CG design I have discovered that its not worth it. Too many common dog**** ( to use army parlance) things cannot be incoporated:

The ability to place reinforcements at different point on the mapboard and have them enter at that time.

The 3 options : attack, assault etc are so vacuous that i have not been able to discover any difference.

Units are unable to ENTER the map as reinforcements but are instead ready for placement.. Duuhhh~~!!!

The non availabilty of flags means that the computer AI in an operation may do stupid things.

The non ability to have some form of fire disipline on units even so much as :_ fire only on a vehicle, fire only on infantry unless attacked by either.

Painfull process to find that 81mm spotter anongst 100's of units, at least CC series had a log of units ( admitadly far fewer).

The two first comments are the most important.

Anyone who thinks' due to these restrictions, they are creating something realistic or that mirrors reality in some way need to visit a doctor...

I've been there, I've done that

Eric

:(

My, what a happy camper you are. It would appear that others have managed to create a few somewhat enjoyable scenarios. Yes this is not ASL, it operates in a somewhat different fashion. Games against the AI are indeed somewhat lame, this game really shines when you play against another. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Some of your points are valid, Cauldron. Some are not.

Reinforcements will enter in the area and at the time you specify. Did you set them at 100%? You are not doing something right here. It does work.

There is a difference between the three types of battles IF one designs his scenario with that type of battle in mind.

One example. Defending troops will be dug in. Meeting engagement troops will not.

Your point, reinforcements do not enter as reinforcements but are on the map for placement means that you are doing something wrong. Did you set them as reinforcements and give them a turn of entry?

The fire discipline thing I can partially agree with but still the commander on the scene is going to shoot at what he deems the greatest danger no matter what you tell him to shoot at. This is historical and realistic.

No flags in campaigns. I would like to see that changed too.

Finding a particular unit is a pain too. I'd love to see a roster somewhere so that you could click on that unit and be taken to it instantly.

When you have a small amount of units it is not hard, but with 2 companies or more, it can take time from play and cause you to lose your train of thought.

We are hoping to improve some of this in CMBB, so don't give up yet.

If you need some help, write me. I don't have all the answers, but I have some.

Try again. It is a very frustrating effort but the results make it all worthwhile.

Learning to work within the framework of what you have can pay rich dividends, Cauldron. Again, good luck with it.

Wild Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wild Bill Wilder:

Your point, reinforcements do not enter as reinforcements but are on the map for placement means that you are doing something wrong. Did you set them as reinforcements and give them a turn of entry?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe he is referring to operations, not scenarios.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cauldron:

Hy,

The non ability to have some form of fire disipline on units even so much as :_ fire only on a vehicle, fire only on infantry unless attacked by either.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wild Bill pretty much answered all the other points nicely, but I would just like to elaborate on this one:

In a recent topic, Kwazy Dawg (I think it was him) confirmed that this would be in CM2. ie: You could make the distinction for ambushing units on what they attack, from only AT to only Inf.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cauldron:

Hy,

The ability to place reinforcements at different point on the mapboard and have them enter at that time.

Painfull process to find that 81mm spotter anongst 100's of units, at least CC series had a log of units ( admitadly far fewer).

Eric

:(<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you talking about scenarios and not operations, then:

in the units buy area, click the dropdown menu for reinforcement 1. at the bottom there is small area where it sez what %chance the units will arrive and at what turn. use turn 5 for ex.

now do the same for reinforcement 2. now you have 2 sets of reinforcements that can be at diff areas.

for finding important units, you can delete them in the unit list then add them again. this means they are at the end of the line of units. or just hold down "+" so all the units travel by quickly. when u glimpse the right unit, stop and then hit minus at a slower rate.

Cauldren,

re:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Painfull process to find that 81mm spotter anongst 100's of units, at least CC series had a log of units ( admitadly far fewer).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In QuickBattles, I always purchase spotters, and other hard to see units, together so that I can cycle through them with the "+" and "-" keys. This should work fine with Operations, except with reinforcements. With reinforcements, you could try to place them consistently adjacent (in the unit listing) to an easier to find unit (e.g, first vehicle).

When playing larger operations, I tend to place them in certain easy to remember physical locations that make it easy for me.

Hope this helps!

cheers,

-gabe-

"why did you bother"???

You mean to make the game? or include operations?

Not sure what you are reffering to but I can say that this game is not for everyone...

For many of us Combat Mission is our holy grail, the end all be all of tactical WWII simulation. For us the answer is obvious, Cause it absolutely rocks! Seems like one of those if I had to explain it you wouldn't understand kind of things...