Forest Battle

I just ran a large battle in a fairly dense forest. Armor was useless and could only move on the outside. This was all in-close man-on-man stuff. When it was over I felt for the men I lost and the men I killed. Yes...they are only pixels and bits but it did bring a sense of reality to me. Only a few surrendered and by the time the Brits called an official surrender units on both sides lay dessimated (can't spell). Entire companies no longer exited. I watched as the tac AI HQs on both sides tried to muster attacks from their troops..only to be pinned and eventually wiped out. Troops would break...forced back into the fray once they recovered and break again. Reserves were piled in fighting were commrades had fallen before. HMG were next to useless with limited fields of fire. Flanking, counter-flanking, attack, counter-attack. I am here to thank God I never had to endure what so many did before me.

In the end units lie dead. British, American and German soldiers intertwined in a mass of wasted expectation and potential.

Then I brought them all back to life for another go! What a great game!

Joe,

Good post. I can relate. Last night I was finishing up a scenario (I won't name it, but possible ******SPOILER***** below, so go easy if you haven't played some of the smaller scenarios included with the game)wherein I had a Pershing tank I was very fond of. It had held the line against no less than three Tigers. Towards the end I had captured all the victory locations and figured I was really just mopping up, when a new German tank was spotted. Forgetting that troops can misidentify the enemy, and feeling a little cocky anyway, I threw my brave tanker up and figured he'd carry the day again. Turned out the kraut was a Tiger II in hull-down. I got my clock CLEANED. When my heroic Pershing went zippo, I hesitated. I always save before pressing "GO" (an old habit from games that didn't work... haven't had a problem with CM), and immediately thought "Screw it. I'll just cheat on this one." But, alas, I didn't. A commander has to accept responsibility for his actions, and those of his men under him. I lost my tank. It was my fault. And I actually felt bummed. It's just a game, but damn, I liked that crew.

Good Hunting!

I know what you mean, possible ***spoiler*** here too so be carefull. I had to take two bridges and had a Sherm with flame. I grew very fond of this tank and its crew. I set an entire town on fire with that tank and the German inf ran in boiling fear.

Ah, commanders can ill afford cockiness. I had a fairly open field to the next bridge and as I turned from the street to the field my beloved Sherm was taken out by an unidentified tank from across the water. Anger filled my soul and I fan several tanks in to take poor shots at this enemy that flamed by beloved Sherm. I lost 7 assorted armor in that foolish move...and the battle.