Bicycle troops

Guest AggroMann

I question whether they would add to authenticity. As folks have pointed out, bicycles were not ridden into combat. Hell, I had a hard enough time aiming squirt guns while riding a bike, I can't imagine what shooting an MP-44 would be like.

Also, as for improving mobility:

Would units ride their bicycles offroad? In my experience, it's quite difficult to ride a bicycle offroad, and that's on a modern mountain bike, not carrying any sort of load. I shudder to think what a pounding ride one'd get on a 1940's-era bicycle with a heavy load.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

Chup, no one is suggesting they would ride them into battle. All the bikes were for was getting up to the front a little quicker than walking. Once there, the troops dismounted, and were the same as any other infantry. Similarly, WW2 cavalry were not really cavalry at all, just mounted infantrymen, who would dismount before going into combat (with the exception of early-war Polish cavalry and Cossacks, and if I'm leaving someone out, please don't flame me!). And having the Cav and motorcycle recon troops would be nice too.

------------------

"Natural body oils, combined with dirt, can keep you waterproof" -Krüger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

Also, SL/ASL had *rule* for bicycle troops, but I don't think that they had actual bicycle troop counters, so it's okay not put them in the game. :<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SL/ASL used the motorcycle counters to represent bicycles, but otherwise limited there untility. Like motorcycles and horses, they were really vulnerable to HE fire, more than a truck in fact.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sgt. Steiner:

Chup, no one is suggesting they would ride them into battle. All the bikes were for was getting up to the front a little quicker than walking. Once there, the troops dismounted, and were the same as any other infantry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would we need them, then? At CM's level, the map you're playing on is the front.

------------------

Grand Poobah of the fresh fire of Heh.

If bicycles are modeled , then The Bicycle Repair Man must be included too!

------------------

Spending extravagant amounts of money for marginal improvements is only acceptable in the fields of racehorses and fancy women.

-Lord Kelvin

Sigh.. no, bikes/cav/motorcycles don't NEED to be in the game, but I have found that on large maps, the infantry have to walk sometimes for quite a few turns before the enemy is spotted. And the afore-mentioned modes of transport could be used in those situations to speed things up. And in the case of motorcycles, the Germans used those extensively for recon purposes, so there is definitely room for those (and the cav) in CM2.

And once again, the inclusion of these as OPTIONAL units to use (or not) would be a nice touch. Any thoughts on this BTS?

------------------

"Natural body oils, combined with dirt, can keep you waterproof" -Krüger