Sneak/Crawl?

One Beta Demo game I was playing and trying to move my infantry across open area and the comand was to "CRAWL" cool.gif . On the play back it looked like he was walking confused.gif ? The enemy spotted him and shot him eek.gif !

Is this what it looks like?

Do they get any benefit from fire?

Do they get any benefit from being spotted?

How do you give orders for Tanks only to fire at other Tanks and not Infantry mad.gif ?

------------------

Well, I don't know what happened on your game, but, crawling is supposed to appear as the unit is actually crawling. Could be just some sort of visual bug. I have had crawling people being shot and killed. You have to watch the terrain they are crossing.

You can't give orders for tanks to shoot at only a specific target (ie only shoot at tanks). The Tactical AI, which the AI and human player has to deal with, are the tank commanders and gunners. Whatever they see to be the greatest threat they target. Usually tanks turn out to be the greatest threat so they would usually target them over Infantry.

[This message has been edited by Major Tom (edited 01-18-2000).]

Major Tom it happened that I was coming over a ridge with 2 Sherman Tanks biggrin.gif and one was firing at Infantry tongue.gif and the other at nothing cool.gif. I knew of 2 German Tanks mad.gif and they both picked of my Shermans eek.gif as they moved into view over a ridge. One Sherman was targeting the German Tanks (the one that had no targets) the other was still shooting the Infantry.

The one mistake redface.gif was my Tanks should have inched forward untill I got hull down.

Guest Big Time Software

Crawling units get are a bit harder to spot, very hard if the terrain is right. They are also less exposed to fire and therefore less likely to take casualties. But crawling isn't a magic formula to avoid being detected or taking casualties, so expect both to happen fairly regullarly.

Steve

Unbuttoned risks killing one of the crew members, but, I have noticed that it is better to risk the one guy than to lose the entire tank. Unbuttoned they have a better view of the battlefield. When Buttoned, they can only see out their little peep holes, usually only facing forwards on the hull and the turret. So, they can only really see what they are shooting at.