Random maps

Moon

Random maps??? RANDOM MAPS????

AARGH... I see rivers springing from the middle of a grass field and running into a hillside where they disappear... I see roads running in circles , crossing the same river three times and ending in a marsh... I see houses scattered all over the map, with no roads leading to them... (sounds like SP? wink.gif )

And if there are random maps, then "random all" is not far: I dare almost not to say it... "Computer selects force"... AAAHHH!

I see the computer player with 8 HQs but no tanks... I see 6 150mm howitzer but no infantry... I see 20 trucks but no soldiers... (sounds like WF? wink.gif )

PLEASE tell me you are going to do it better...

Hrm... I was assuming that random maps were in addition to the pre-set scenarios (with pre-set maps). I'd kinda like random maps with random forces for just a quick 30 minute shoot out or something... Though I'll be impressed if BTS comes up with a map algorithim that puts man made stuff (roads, houses, walls) in logical places.

Guest Big Time Software

Moon, no need to get your Heffeweizen all a bubbling smile.gif The random maps are IN ADDITION to a full featured scenario and map editor. This allows gives you the ability to play our preset ones, make your own historically correct battles, and play on some totally unknown terrain. I know, we really shouldn't be giving everybody the kitchen sink as well, but what the heck!

Steve

P.S. SP wasn't really that bad, now was it wink.gif

Guest Michael emrys

How about editable random maps, a la Sim City? That way you could edit out all the illogical absurdities without having to design the whole map tile by tile.

Guest Big Time Software

Good idea, that system always worked for me! I'll pass it on to Charles. I would think it is very possible that this could happen.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

So good an idea, in fact, that Charles tells me he has ALWAYS planned on allowing you to edit randomly created maps. Told you I thought he would do it smile.gif

Steve

P.S. sour Heffeweizen is nicht gut in my buch!

Guest Big Time Software

Just Oktoberfest? Nah, that only comes once a year! Actually, Kristal and Helles (sp?) are more for summer time. Berlin cafes and all that! Personally, on a hot summer day there is NOTHING like a tall Heffeweizen with a wedge of lemon. Otherwise, a good Dunkles Heffeweizen is the way to go wink.gif

Steve

P.S. Did I mention I really love a good beer?

Ah Kristal and "Dunkelbier" sp ??

I went to Belgium for a summer course (in Flemish the old mother tongue) a couple of years ago and rediscovered these beauties. We had a dispenser with 200ml bottles of Kristal and used to buy 4 or 5 and go out to the common open area to party. 2 Hours later, buy 5 more.. Repeat until 4 am and you need to sleep or until classes start again at 8am. (Language classes are VERY difficult when, not only do you not understand the language too well but you are drunk as a skunk to boot ;) ).

:) In 2 weeks I went three nights without sleep as part of my " combat reality approximation" exercises.. It was ALL research-oriented I swear.

Isn't dunkelbier 13.5% alcohol ? I remember having a 13.5% pint of beer in a pub which was absolutely lethal but great fun.

Gees I sound like a major alco don't I ? but I'm Irish so I guess I have a national reputation to uphold here ;).

Should I make you guys REALLY envious now? I am sitting here and sipping on my Kristallweizen... mmhmm... wink.gif

I'll trade in a crate of Weizen against CM alpha... what do you think? smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Moon (edited 02-25-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

>Isn't dunkelbier 13.5% alcohol ?

OK, now I have to break out one of my beer books (did I mention I used to brew smile.gif)

A traditional "dunkel" beer is just a dark bodied lager. Probably peaks about 5%, which is about 1% higher than a normal Continental styled lager. What you had was more likely a Belgian "Tripel", which is about 6%-7% by volume (or 12%-13% proof). There are very few beers stronger that still taste good, Maibocks being one of my favorites. When I lived in London I once had a Tennents Special Export that was 11.5%, but the taste was horrible. Turns out only the "bums" drink the stuff with any frequency. Go figure smile.gif

Steve

P.S. Moon, you're going to have to do a bit more than that wink.gif

Try Samiclaus Bier (Swiss). It weighs in at %14+.

And that is a big "+". Two of these things will knock your socks off. And they are little 12 ouncers.

Unfortunately, they are almost undrinkable they are so sweet and thick.

(ps I'm back. Steve, this new board isn't as bad as I had originally thought, but it would sure be nice to have the recent posts at the TOP! Oh and one more thing. I don't quite know how to say this in a way that quite captures how I feel about this game, but it needs to be said, as I think it will sum up many of my fellow poster's thoughts on the subject. Here goes:

I CANNOT [nasty word deleted by Big Brother] WAIT FOR COMBAT MISSION TO BE RELEASED!

There, I said it. You'll probably have to erase or censor this post. But now at least you know how I really feel about things. : )

Truly, everytime I read a post from Bigtime I get more excited about this game. I don't even play/buy games but I will certainly buy this one!

Keep up the apparant good work!

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 02-25-99).]

• 1 year later...

So I was wandering around the forum archives and found this great post. No wonder the TCP/IP patch is not done, all of the people at BIG TIME spending all their time drinking too much beer! biggrin.gif

By the way, it is fun reading the old posts and watch the answers to questions as the game was developed. If you are waiting for those PBEM turns to come in...give it a try.

-Mother Theresa

------------------

"Out of fuel, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heros"

OK, a question for all you Germans out there:

Do ANY of you put a LEMON in your beer? I have always thought that to be just awful tasting, and I have always thought it to be something screwy we Americans did with our beer. Seems to me, it began with Coronas (I remember a commercial where a guy is offered a Mexican beer, and refuses it saying that helikes his beer to be made with water, lol) but I have not seen it too much.

Just wondering

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

[This message has been edited by Crank_GS (edited 10-11-2000).]

I'm not German, but I lived there for over 2 years...and they ALWAYS put lemon in my hefeweizen - without me asking. smile.gif I noticed that my German friends had lemon in their beer too. Good stuff, Maynard.

Edit: Spelling, if you can believe that! LOL!

------------------

"Gun damaged are rare on Shermans because they die like red shirts on Star Trek" - Slapdragon

[This message has been edited by Mannheim Tanker (edited 10-11-2000).]

Have you gone mad?

RANDOM MAPS ARE WHERE IT'S AT!!!

Is it just me or am I the only one who detests playing wargames that force you to fight on the same battlefield over and over and over and over again?

Am I one the only one who drooled over the vast expanse of unused ground in Prelude to Waterloo's massive Twin Battles map?

Am I the only one who cried when Napoleon 1813, with its unlimited replay value embodied in a strategic/tactical gameplay wrapper, was an incomplete bugfest?

Is the same thrill there when you've planned your entire troop movements before the battle of Gettysburg even starts? Oh look, it's Little Round Top and it's worth 30 Victory Points! I'll just march a crack division to take it, just like I've done 'x' number of times before this one. I just hope my opponent doesn't put any troops up there... frown.gif

Yeah, real fun the first few times but the minor variations one experiences in countless replays wears really thin.

Sometimes I wonder whether these hardcore 'I only play historical scenarios and/or maps' wargamers have some sort of unhealthy ladder competition obsession, or, even worse, an inferiority complex when it comes to facing the 'great unknown'. Take that statement however you like it but variety is the spice of life. As far as CM goes, I would sooner have some poor fanatical psychopath recreate the entire map of Europe and compress it into one file that the game can access for random map selection than have to only deal with premade and/or user created maps.

Quite frankly, had CM NOT included a random map generator I would not be so enthusiastic about it, and certainly it would not have held my attention for as long as it has. Random map generators, dynamic campaigns, mission progression 'trees' are the things I look for in wargames and sims. ANYTHING to increase longevity and maintain 'freshness' is a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Terrain generating algorithms can be improved, and CM's generator is not so bad when you take into account the precious few computer wargames that have one at all.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

Long live Watney's Cream Stout!!! If none is on hand then gimme Murphy's Irish Stout or Guiness... smile.gif