Can't install beta demo, need help !!

Guest Big Time Software

Hi there. Are you trying to install on NT4? This could cause problems, as could Win2000 potentially. What you need to do is have a zip program of some sort and manually try and decompress the ZIP file. This *should* work as I think the problem is the self executing code.

Steve

Hi Sgt. Huang,

Still need help with this?

The error message seems to be indicating that you've opened up a DOS-window or told Win98 to boot up in dos mode and are then running the .exe file by typing the name on the command line in the old-fashioned DOS manner. Is this what you're doing or is the error message seriously misleading?

p.

Hi, Peterk :

Yes, I still need help. I open windows

Explorer and double click the downloaded

file, and it popped up a window and have an

error message shown above, any idea ??

My computer has only one OS, and equipped

with AMD 400Mhz CPU, 128 Mb RAM, 8 MB AGP

Video and HD in 6.4 GB and 8.4 GB each.

regards

Sgt H.

Is the error message appearing in a dos box? (has a C:\ command line prompt?)

Sounds like for some reason, the file is set up to start a dos session when that file is clicked and then run it, but since the actual file only works in true windows, it gives you that error.

A workaround though is to manually load up winzip and then open the archive and extract it using that.

Mikey

Also, what the file is is a self-extracting zip file. That's why it has an .exe extension.

You can extract it using Winzip. you just have to change the filter on the file selection window to all files (*.*) instead of zip files (.zip) so you can see the file on the list and then open it)

If for some reason, it won't open, my guess is the file is corrupted

Mikey

Guest Big Time Software

All the advice and observations above are correct. Simply change the extension to ".zip" and open in some Win98 compliant zip program. Preserve directories and unzip. Should work.

Steve

• 2 months later...

hi,

it seems that ive the same problem.

so far nothing worked for me (no rename,

no ...) frown.gif

so i do need some advice smile.gif

btw, my system is a P2/400/64MB Sin98 so it should run w/o problems

k2

Guest Big Time Software

Hmmm... do you get the same error as Sgt. Huang? The work arounds in this thread should work for you. I for one don't know of any reason why they wouldn't, nor do I have any idea about what you can do differntly.

There is the possibility that the file got corrupted in the download process. If that is the case, redownload or get this month's Computer Gaming World (if you are in the US/Cnd) and the demo is on there.

Steve

smile.gif

K2 did a search smile.gif

K2 - AT a guess you don't have a unzipper on your pc right?

get Winrar - it free - ten just rename the demo's extension to .zip - then double click it when you have WInrar installed, and then you can extract the contents with WInrar

http://www.rarsoft.com/

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there, or grab a CM Wallpaper! :P