CM, backgammon, and luck on the battlefield

I compare CM to another game I like a whole lot, backgammon. Why?

In backgammon, sometimes its better to wait til the right, telling moment to kill (read : attack) your opponent rather than shooting at everything that moves.

In backgammon, your opponent can make a very bad move. Yet, depending on your roll of the dice, that same bad roll can suddenly become a deadly, game-winning move.

And finally, this is the part I'm wondering about. In backgammon, a very good player will usually win against a very poor one, but not always. Luck plays a big part. It's not like in chess, where a certain difference in ability means the other guy doesn't stand a chance in heck of winning, even if they play 100 games. My question is this : How much do you think luck plays a part in winning at CM? A lot, a little, none at all? Common wisdom states that the game backgammon is 80% luck, 20% skill. I'll throw those numbers out as a starting point, just so everyone can have something to disagree with. smile.gif Finally, in one of the first books I bought on backgammon strategy, the author prefaced each chapter with a quote by Clausewitz. At the time I wondered why...I don't anymore.

DeanCo--

I like the backgammon analogy, though I think luck plays a bigger roll in it, than in CM. So much of backgammon is knowing the odds, and making the best of a bad thing.

You can't really make luck, but you can make yourself easy for luck to find. Or be in a position to take advantage of luck that comes your way.

I could use some double ones right now, in fact...