Viper770U and MIP mapping in CM

I was using a Viper 2 and the game looked pretty good except for an occasional artifact and the lack of fog support. I installed a Viper V770 Ultra and now I see fog, however the MIP mapping ability looks like crap. There is a radius of some kind around your perspective that dithers or softens the pixels (as the Viper 2 did) however, just beyond that radius (60 meters) the graphics look pixelated.

For example, if I move in perspective 1 towards a group of trees, the grass in front of me is smooth. Just beyond that 60 meters, the grass looks pixelated. When I approach and cross through trees, the leaves underneath look very pixelated until the are close then they are smoothed out.

My Viper 2 had a setting called AutoMipMap which, when turned on, smoothed out the whole battlefield. The V770 has a lot of MIP Mapping controls, but no combination has cured this problem. I have gone through plenty of drivers from the early Diamond ones to the latest detonator series.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TeAcH

I posted this in tech support also but wanted more people to see it and see if they had any ideas. Thanks

Guest Rollstoy

Okay, the situation is this: I am drunk, it has got 35 degrees in the appartment and it's 2 a.m.

Nevertheless, I think that the smoothing is done only within a limited distance from the point of view to speed up graphics.

I have got a Matrox G400 and experience the same phenomenom. But it does not harm the overall impression at all. In fact you have to look very careful to notice it.

I do not think it is a bug! It is a feature. I hope we are talking about the same thing, though ...

Regards, Thomm

Take a look at your game from level 1 (ground level) and examine the grassy area closest to you. It should appear smooth (thanks to MIP mapping. Now, gradually look at the grass away from you. If you see the smoothness stop and some pixelated blocky grass, then that is what I am talking about. Looking at the fallen leaves under trees is more noticeable. My Viper 2, despite all of its flaws, mipmapped the whole battlefield. Cant this card do this?

TeAcH

Yeah. I have tried every driver I can think of and every possible setting to no avail. Thats a bummer cause this is a helluva card. Well, I am selling the card to a friend and getting a GeForce 2. Poor me.

hehehe

If anyone has a solution, let me know cause the purchaser is a CM player too.

I've got the same thing. To be honest, I wouldn't have noticed it if it hadn't be pointed out. A better way to see the effect is to use a mine field and look at the words in the field cool.gif .

------------------

Hey look, the bleeding stopped. Uh oh. . .