deserting?

Guest Madmatt

Not a bug, just don't run your guys off the map. That is considered leaving the area of battle anf they are not permitted to return.

In some scenarios you are actually required to exit units of the map for points.

Madmatt

I guess I would ask why are you running them off the map? You will find that even running near the edge of the map can result in the loss of units, when they come under fire and back off the map.

say you do a mass withdraw and select a group of units. They all dont withdraw to the same area. The only way i could see the running off the map working is if a routed unit somehow leaves creating the desertion affect.

one way to solve it is not being able to put the unit move marker outside the boundry. think bout it.

I see your point. I agree when doing a mass selection you could have that happen, but you would see the line extending off the map and could correct it before the units exited the map.

I agree it could be troublesome, but I think it is probably more the exception than the rule. I have not had this issue in playing, but maybe others have. The only issues I have seen before related to units that panicked and ran off the map due to proximity.

sometimes the safest, most covered place is a patch of woods near the endge of the map, a place where a mass move might send a unit movin off the area map.

also, some of u might be saying "but your going to die anyways, why not surrender or quit?" Well, maybe reinforcements will come and if I can hold off until then I might survive!

you also might say u should take your time and move each unit individualy, but in the heat of hte moment, people do tend to rush their movements.

With the unlimited time to plan and plot your movement between every 60-second stoppage of game time, there's no need to rush biggrin.gif

Seriously, if you mass move a group of units and see that one or more are going off the map edge, how hard is it to fix their movement so it doesn't happen? Is moving each unit too much trouble?

-john

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DukesterMM:

one way to solve it is not being able to put the unit move marker outside the boundry. think bout it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Except that there are times when you want to be able to move units off map. I often move crews from knocked out AFVs and mortars off map because they're of little value as troops, but count for points if they get killed or captured. In a PBEM that's gone west on me, for example, I will often move all the units I can off map in order to avoid surrendering them or having them wiped out. This can often affect the final point/victory level. I can't remember a single game where I've inadvertently moved units off the map. Occassionaly I've had shattered units take off on their own, but that's not only realistic, but probably just as well, as they weren't going to achieve much for me anyways.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>one way to solve it is not being able to put the unit move marker outside the boundry. think bout it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A much better solution to the problem is this. Hit SHIFT-P until it says "show all movement paths" at the top of your screen. You will clearly see all movement waypoints on your screen, and if any are too close to the edge, hold down your right-click on the waypoint and drag it into a better spot.

If you havent browsed through them, the in game options under "hotkeys" has some very useful in game options.. smile.gif

hope this helps

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DukesterMM:

i stated in a previous post that you could do it if it was an objective, read up abit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, but I was not talking about exiting units for points, as in an objective, read my post wink.gif. I was talking about voluntarily bugging units off the map so that they're not captured or killed, not a scenario mandated exit to gain victory points.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

Whoa wait a second here. I move all crew off the map after they have abadoned a vehicle or a mortor. I saw above that the games counts these guys as casualties at the end??? I pull them back and off the map so my opponent doesn't starting moaning about using crew as infantry and being gamey and all that. Plus I figured by pulling them off the map I would be CONSERVING casualties. Does it really count as a loss if you move them near or off the map?? what should I do just hide them somewhere???

Mass retreats to the edge of the map??????

You do this often?????

Ive never heard of such a thing. And I must say, in the dozens of games I've played against the computer I've never once had a unit run off map. It's just not an issue.

Mass retreats eh?

Do you get whipped a lot in PBEM? :P

Guest *Captain Foobar*

Any unit that can no longer contribute to combat should be removed from harm's way. If you are taking ground, you only need to find a safe spot in the back country for them.

If you are losing ground, you had better get them off of the map. I havent tested specifically for it, but I would be VERY surprised to hear that retreated units count as a loss. Surely they would have caught a bug like that..

Retreating units off of a map, Will save you points. AKA they are not surrendered at the end. You just need to know which map edges are friendly. Usually I pull them back and off the map in the same direction we came. aka... running home to mama.

Lorak

------------------

"Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking."--William Butler Yeats

Cesspool

Guest Big Time Software

To clarify...

Moving units off the map, on friendly map edges, is a good way to denny points to the enemy. And, when you think about it, this is quite realistic. Moving KO'd tank crews and out of ammo mortar teams out of harm's way is not only sensible from a game point of view, but would be rather standard proceedure in a real combat situation. So CM rewards this realistic behavior and punishes those players that use them in a non-historic way (cannon fodder).

We are not going to complicate the game rules for withdrawing units off map. If you don't want the unit to move off map, don't plot it to do so. Pretty simple system and it works great smile.gif

125,000 posts or so and this is the first request for changing the way it works now. There is probably a reason for that wink.gif

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 10-10-2000).]