Soldier graphics modification

Since there are 3 different guys modelling a full squad I wonder if it would be possible for some mod guy to change the graphics so the BAR/BREN or whatever is shown by one guy? It would look much cooler.

I miss the Bren pic, my fave among plastic soldiers smile.gif

Marcus

BTS - A Humble Request...

In keeping with the topic of this thread I would like to like to ask if would be possible to increase the number of texture slots for the troop types (primarily) and also possibly the vehicles. If not for CM1 then for future releases.

I love this game and have nothing to suggest to improve the mechanics - the game works fine as it stands IMO and even those suggested changes I've agreed with on this forum (tank gun target priority, the Brit 2-in mortar move rate etc.) are mainly minor tweaks. Applause for the open graphics format as I enjoy playing around with visual mods. So far I've created some new 'face' and interface 'portrait' graphics but have come up against some brick walls when doing alternative uniform mods. I tried creating unit insignia for the Brits but found the same 'sleeve' bmp was used for both infantry and tank crews - Cromwell crews with infantry division badges don't really look right smile.gif

Moving on to the Germans, I converted the 'headwear' bmp into a splinter-camo helmet cover. This looks great on the Heer panzergrenadiers but no so good on the SS who share the same texture and should have 'spotty' camo. Also the Gebirgsjaeger caps now appear in camo smile.gif Next I turned the Heer tunic into a splinter camo smock which also looked pretty cool on the PGs but found the Gebirgsjaeger also used the same graphic - minus the right sleeve which uses a special field grey texture with the Edelweiss badge!

With the vehicle textures I found left and right sides use the same texture mirrored so German vehicle numbers or assymetrical markings were impossible as they appear back to front on one side smile.gif

No big deal, but if it is at all possible (not knowing about demands of texture memory etc.) would Charles please consider increasing the number of unique textures for the different troop classes (vehicle crews, regular infantry, airborne, SS etc.)?

Cheers,

Mike

marcusm, as I understand it the squads use a rough 3:1 or 4:1 scaling down and this also affects what weapon graphics you see. To see one SMG graphic, the unit will have to be armed with three or four SMGs in r/l. As most squads only had one or two LMGs you won't see them in the game. You can replace the SMG bmp with a Bren/BAR/MG42 if you want to see the squad carry an LMG instead.

Cheers,

Mike

Guest KwazyDog

Keep in mind the reason the textures are mirrored Mike is to keep VRAM usage to a minimum, which is also the same for the sleeves. If we didnt mirror the textures on the vehicles the VRAM usage for them would shoot through the roof, especially considering the side textures are usually higher res to give them more detail. smile.gif The only other option here it to half the resolution of the textures but have different textures for each side of the vehicles. I personally think its probably better to have the higher res with no marking though.

Of course for CM2 there will probably be a little more flexabilty here as people up their system specs. I think its important to design for the older cards, too.

altho not with the lmg/hmg within a squad , you do see weapon variety in the graphics eg german grenadiers often have two men with mausers and on with mp40

BM

------------------

"If you see a white plane it's American, if you see a black plane it's the RAF. If you see no plane at all it's the Luftwaffe." -German soldier, Western Front, 1944

I understand the use of mirrored textures to mod vehicles - There are lots of them in the game - but the shared uniforms textures present few cases and can be revised to improve the imersion in the WWII universe.

I would like to see the german and allied soldiers using their proper uniforms, helmets/caps and insignia...UAU!

Come to think of it, if you had turret numbers on the German tanks then each tank of the same type would have the same number so perhaps that wouldn't be such a great idea...

Still think an increased number of uniform textures would be a nice touch. Might provide opportunity for some artistic output from the creative people here. How about it BTS? smile.gif