Immobilized Tanks

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also wouldn't it be realistic if you could refil the ammo of a bunker by bringing IN some sort of Truck<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is done in operations, between battles when resupply would normally takes place.

------------------

Frag Hanoi Jane

I doubt that a ten minute track repair is possible at all. Imagine what happens when say, a 75mm shell hits a tank track. If the tank is hit from the front, the front drive sprocket is probably going to get hit. That would at least strip a few teeth off, and would more likley keep the whole thing from turning. Try repairing that in ten minutes, even in a garage with the proper tools.

If it is just the tread that is hit, and not the bogies or drive sprockets, either the tread will be damaged or not. (d'oh.) If it isn't, the detailed armor penetration says "Track hit, no serious damage." If it is damaged, the tread is probably going to be broken, with several links broken. Lets assume that the tankers had a few extra tread links for their tank. (If they didn't, they would be just SOL, of course.) If they wanted to put these on in place of the damaged ones, they would have to go outside their tank where there's shrapnel and explosions and those little lead things that move really quickly. Furthermore, putting on new treads to replace the old ones would be difficult at best. The old links that had been hit by the shell would be all bent and twisted, and a real pain to remove. Ever tried to get a nut off a twisted bolt?

In summary, I suppose it is possible that a crew could repair a tread in ten minutes, but not under combat conditions, and not if the track had taken more than light damage. I doubt there are many people out there who can change a tire in ten minutes every time, especially if they had to do it on a battlefield. And I'm sure that repairing a tank's tread is going to be a lot more difficult than changing a tire.

-109 Gustav

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Sir Wamers Kahlenberg wrote:

I read that a American tank crew that had lost a track was able to repair the track in 10 mins.

I have no trouble in believing that some kinds of track damage could be repaired quickly, maybe even in 10 minutes. However, they would need much more time in most cases. A repair time that quick would require that the tank is quite light (so the track is light), there's absolutely no damage in the drive wheels, and the repair conditions are pretty much ideal.

Two days ago I read about one event when a Finnish T-26 lost a track while crossing River Tuulosjoki (early September 1941). The driver hit a rock that was hidden in water. According to the book, the crew managed to get the track back on in 30 minutes, in darkness and in cold water. However, I wouldn't trust the time estimate too much.

The author, Reino Lehväslaiho, served in that unit for the whole war (the only original man in his platoon to survive unwounded). As a T-34-76 gunner he destroyed 5 T-34-85s during Summer '44.

- Tommi

I agree with the rest.

I think it is quite feasable that a crew could refit a *thrown* track in 10 minutes - if no one is shooting at them. But in CM broken tracks have exclusively(?) been put that way by someone firing or throwing grenades at them.

A side-note, yesterday in a pbem my Crocodile had a track shot to pieces by a JpzIV. I loved the sound when the track fell apart/fell off. This game is just sooo detailed! smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Stefan Fredriksson (edited 12-14-2000).]

I have read the same Sir Wamers Kahlenberg. The tank threw a track while traveling over rough terrane. The crew got out and repaired it during an artillery shelling. The only difference is, in Combat Mission your tracks are destroyed by enemy fire. That my friend, makes a huge difference on the time of repair.

-Head

------------------

"No man ever won a war by dieing for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

-General George S. Patton, Jr.

[This message has been edited by Head Mahone (edited 12-14-2000).]