Interesting New Book

I visited my local Chapters Bookstore today, and found a new book called "HISTORICAL MAPS OF WWII - EUROPE", by Swift and Sharpe, ISBN 1 85648 573 0, published by PRC (2000).

In it there are over 100 maps of various battlegrounds from North Africa to Western Europe and a handful of the Russian front, many with some sort of OOB, and most maps are land battles, although a few air and naval maps are thrown in.

All maps are copies of the original documents, taken from the Public Record Office (England). There are various scales, and detail, many are strategic level only showing large areas such as all of Normandy or Siciliy, but many are also detailed showing individual buildings and streets around 1" = 1/8 mile or so. A few of these have elevation contour lines. The Normandy landing beach maps (all 5 beaches) are incredible. Omaha has contour lines, and Utah has flooded areas shown.

There are probably around 20 maps in the book that may be a useful reference for CM1 and CM2 map making.

Not perfect, but the best part is the book is in the bargain section for only $17 Canadian (that's about $12 in real money).

IPA,

Thanks for the amazon UK site, but you are dealing with a professional knucklehead(me).

I went there and the closest I could find was "Atlas of the Second World War : Europe and the Mediterranean"

That book has a different isbn and was published in 1995...????

signed,

"Its not easy being a moran"

Saw the same book last night. There were 3 of them at $8 on the bargain rack outside of the local Walden Books. I tried to "lay a hint" to my wife for Christmas. It looked really interesting. Showing where all units were located for major battles.

------------------

"Nuts!"

While looking through B&N I found:

Atlas of WWII (ISBN 0-7607-2043-6)

reprint of a 1995 tome showing overall maps and some div/btl info ...

and

Tank vs Tank (ISBN 0-7607-1966-7)

an illustrated history of armored warfare.

The maps here look potentially useful, and some good photos and specs.

13$US each. Both B&N reprints of older books.