CM2: Afrika Korps VS. Die Oostentruppen

Guest Capt_Manieri

Don't want to get to far off topic but at: http://www.algonet.se/~toriert/ll.htm

I found the following about the US and Brit lend-lease to Russia:

around 22,8000 AFVs were sent to Russia, 2,000 lost at sea;

351,700 trucks and 78,000 Jeeps were sent;

Great Britain sent 14 percent of her total tank prduction even though Russian produced 3 times the number of tanks;

Interestingly in early 1945 the 1st Guards Mech Corp was equipped entirely with Shermans in all tank units;

finally, the USA moniker was so common in Eastern Europe that folk-lore interpreted the letters as Ubiyat Sukinsyna Adolfa - (kill the Son-of-a-bitch Adolf).

There is more at the URL with even a breakdown of the types and numbers of vehicles sent. This Red Steel site is a fountain of info about Russian tanks in WWII.

Enjoy

MikeT

Thank you , MikeT

On the link you provided, it says that Great Britain provided 14% of her total tank production, even though the Soviets outproduced Great Britain threefolds in tanks. That makes the total contribution to total USSR tank strength 3-4%.

Of all the different tanks provided by the western allies, only the 4.000 Sherman tanks was of such a quality that it could go toe to toe with a PzIV. On the other hand, the USSR produced more than 40.000 T-34. More important than tanks were the vast number of trucks provided.

I like wargames and boardgames for being a way to learn to put things in the right perspective. One of my favorites ar "Russian Front" by AH. In that game you have an option of commanding the Soviets with no lend-lease. The effect is as follows, your total production drops 3-5%, and all your guard armies have a 20% loss in movement factors. IMHO that is a good simulation of the effects of the lend-lease.

Guest L Tankersley

BTS said (AND I QUOTE!):

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also don't forget that CM3 will have Greece and Jugoslavia as well.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... given the revolutionary nature of CM, shouldn't that be WEgoslavia? ;P

Leland J. Tankersley