[Best vehicles for PBEM games...]

Guest Pillar

Guest Pillar

Any of you who regularly play PBEM know that there is one or two vehicles that you always buy.

So this thread shall be an enlightening look at what the best "PBEM-Ready" vehicles of CM are.

My favourites so far:

1) M10 (Cheap and has AT capability)

2) Mortar Carriers -- lots of mortars inside and highly mobile.

3) Artillery Spotters (Not a vehicle, but great for bombing out of LOS suspected enemy positions).

If I happen to play british, I always take a Daimler with me.

Fast, and has a big enough gun for flank shots.

As germans, I usually, but not always, have a Panther. For obvious reasons smile.gif

I almost never use M10, too vulnerable, and can't penetrate good

german tanks. I almost never use mortar carriers either, again

too vulnerable.

Guest Pillar

Interestingly to the contrary, someone today told me that when picking weapons for PBEM games he prefers firepower over armour.

Thus making the M36 a perfect selection.

As German

quad 20mm flak-murder on inf and lightly armoured vehicles

Lynx

As above

Puma

fast and deadly with the 50L60 gun

Hetzer

small and lethal

Hardly ever buy MBT's, too costly and I am a great believer in more is better

Allied

Daimler

Wasp

T8

Greyhounds

Shermans

Guest Pillar

Anyone ever by Cromwells or Churchill tanks?

Wondering if anyone has yet put a use to the huge firepower of the AVRE for bunker busting.. smile.gif

If I am playing 500 pts game where I am attacker I buy 3 Churchils, 2 platons of British infatry (they come with PIAT and mortar) and a couple of cheap scout car (British - they are worth 9 pts).

Sometimes I add M-24 Chaffe (cheap with reasonable gun)

I also found M-36 jacksons usefull but not as good as Churchils

Count me as a Churchill VIII fan.

I'm also quite partial to the Wasp, but as I like to keep my games realistic I do not purchase flocks of them.

I also had a game where a lowly 20mm Flak cannon had racked up more kills than my tanks. It was very lucky to stay alive.

The Firefly, which has been my favorite tank since I was 14 or so, is proving to be hard to use in CM. Once spotted, the Germans really focus on killing them (as they did historically).

GAFF

I usually buy Tiger I's. They're not a bad all-around tank (good armor, good gun) and are cheaper then other MBTs. I also use StuH 42's and Hummels but I've found Hummel's too vulnerable. Also I've heeded Madmatt's advice and used Hetzers and they are great in ambushes and other purely AT roles.

You can have the StuH 42's taking out infantry. The Hetzer's in ambush positions and Tiger I's covering everyone. I find it works (although I didn't describe it well enough here)

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!