Panther(a) knocked out by 50 caliber american machine gun?

I had a similar event take place in one of my own designed operations. A Panther was moving along a street in close proximity to American infantry in a house when this tank suddenly stops and the crew abandons it. There was a plinking sound and then the info bar shows the red abandon sign. I replayed the movie a number of times but could not identify the source of the kill or its weapon type. There was no explosion, only that "plink". I thought it might be a rifle grenade but could not see the grenade being fired. Very odd.

My best guess is that the drive train failed on the Panther and the "plink" was that sound. The crew being so close to the enemy decided to abandon the tank before they were taken out by an unseen enemy.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

unfortunatly, I don't have the ability to view AAR on the map itself becouse of a bug in the voodoo 5 drivers (a fix is soon promised though). Also, I did not save the game at the end. In fact the game ended prematurely due to an easy armored victory (not boasting).

After a bit of thought, it is possible my first insticnt to the condition of my Panther was incorrect. Instead of being "knocked out", my panther may have just been "abandand". This seems to make the most sense since there were no other enemy vehicles left on the map (except for the lone halftrack that my tiger easily brewed up).

The setting of this battle was in a small village. My panther was next to a small building on its left, looking up the slope to the .50 cal MG team. The halftrack was hidden from my view on my left about 20 to 50 mm away. The only thing I could hear or see was the .50 cal MG team firing away at me. When my crew abandand the panther, they immediatly took cover in the building on my left, but with no enemy infantry to be seen. This is why I have doubts about any other enemy infantry except the MG team or some abandand tank crew.