Crappy (but Really Good) gamey tactic

Doesn't a side have a global morale that declines the more casualties you take? And when this global morale reaches some critical point, all your guys decide they'd rather be doing something else? Would not this feature tend to allieviate mass gamey use of sacrifice cheap troops?

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

Guest Big Time Software

Bullethead, this is true but it takes time for it to happen. It also has to do with the ratio between the two sides, so if you both beat the crap out of each other this feature won't kick in.

OK, Charles is going to try the "quick fix" route and simply increase the cost of the Carrier. Not sure what the new cost will be, but it won't be something like 10pts smile.gif

There is a degree of method for selecting unit values, but it is open to differing opinions. I think a very good case has been made that these buggers are too cheap,

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eridani:

I will yeild to popular opinion that my gameplay was "gamey"... Honestly at the time, I wasn't thinking about how I could exploit the computer, I was thinking "how the hell can I use what I have to NOT DIE here"... If that counts as gamey, than I'm sorry.

-EridanMan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I believe there was no bad intent, that's why I went with the 'without malice' disclaimer. I would have to say you acted imaginatively; there's been times in some battles against the AI where I was doing the same, going 'okay, we're basically screwed, what might make this better?' No implied personal criticism, just having to chime in on concept (basic: community deciding what is 'other' type thing!). Personally, I started laughing at the vision of all those MMGs circling the beleaguered tank ("Quick, pull the wagons into a circle, here they come!"). smile.gif

Probably frustrating to be on the receiving end of something that weird, though, and, like I say, makes me want to make sure future opponents are taking the same approach to the game I am.

These MMGs are an interesting vehicle. Against primarily infantry set-ups they're very useful and powerful (an armoured machine gun that can advance and retreat quickly is a real godsend, in some situations), and seem worth more than what they cost. Against armour or heavy AT formations, of course, they are extremely fragile, although quick. I've used them in a couple of battles against the AI, and am still pondering them.

------------------

After witnessing exceptional bravery from his Celtic mercenaries, Alexander the Great called them to him and asked if there was anything they feared. They told him nothing, except that the sky might fall on their heads.

[This message has been edited by Seanachai (edited 06-27-2000).]

That's the kind of situation where you can't help loving the game and the weird situations which are happening.

Reminds me of that funny post where a Stug was rammed out of the way by a blinded Sherman in CE behind the church.

Eridian, I'll PBEM you any time, just buy Bren Carrier and I'll buy Puppchen.

We'll be gamey all over the map.

biggrin.gif

Nice thinking and good tactic in any case (it worked after all)...

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped