Grognard Question...Paint scheme on Hotchkiss

I really didn't like the camo scheme on the H-39 Hotchkiss that much and found a number of photos of captured versions used by the Germans that, although in black and white, looked like they had the standard grey paint job. Since these vehicle were used until quite late in the war (30 were still available in Dec. 1944) I'm wondering how realistic it might be for them to retain that grey paint job (which I like a lot) until very late due to the fact that they operated primarily as training and second line vehicles. I'm just curious because I don't want it to look historically out of place.

Here's a pic.

hotchkiss.jpg

[This message has been edited by pritzl (edited 12-30-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pritzl:

I really didn't like the camo scheme on the H-39 Hotchkiss that much and found a number of photos of captured versions used by the Germans that, although in black and white, looked like they had the standard grey paint job. Since these vehicle were used until quite late in the war (30 were still available in Dec. 1944) I'm wondering how realistic it might be for them to retain that grey paint job (which I like a lot) until very late due to the fact that they operated primarily as training and second line vehicles. I'm just curious because I don't want it to look historically out of place.

Here's a pic.

hotchkiss.jpg

[This message has been edited by pritzl (edited 12-30-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey not bad have you made a mod of this. If so could you send it my way???(Check profile for E-mail).

Actually, the Germans left many of their captured Hotchkiss machines in the original French colors: What looks like panzer grey in B&W is prolly vert armee, a dark blue-grey shade favored by the French as their standard-issue color scheme.

In the field, camou schemes usually consisted of a medium brown under-coat broken up by grey-green splotches edged in black --- or the alternative was often a grey-green undercoat broken up by khaki splotches edged in black.

I've looked in a few books about the H-39 HotchKiss and I'd say that the color scheme you have painted on it are historical with that time period. I doubt the Germans would apply a tricolor camouflage on a second-line internal security light tank.

<a  href=]http://www.wargamer.com/cm/images/capturedh-39.jpg' alt='capturedh-39.jpg'>

------------------

" When you succeed, give all the credit to others; when you fail, take all the blame." General Dwight D. Eisenhower