smoke rounds

Guest JpeBob

Why is it that when firing artillery (mortars, howitzers, etc.), i am forced to choose between using smoke or HE rounds.

this refutes reality. those units usually had some of both. I was playing the Arnhem scenario and laying down heavy smoke on the bridge, only to discover I had now used ALL my ammo. All smoke no HE. Needless to say I was bummed....

You will notice tanks come with a selection. If you use up your smoke, fine... then switch to AP or HE to get the real work done. :)

You have X rounds of artillery fire. You can use your allotment as HE or smoke switching back and forth each fire mission until the ammo runs out. You can think of 100 rounds as 50 HE and 50 smoke or 100 HE or 100 smoke. BTS made it as flexible as they could.

I'm not sure that qualifies as "flexible"...

Is this a programming problem?

Does it only apply to offboard artillery?

What it means for me operationally is that I've got to check the remaining ammo rounds available for each spotter every turn to see if I better give up on the smoke and change to HE.

I'll have to do this at the end of every combat round instead of being able to delegate: "fire all the smoke you've got, then I'll give you new targeting orders..."

Weird with the smoke. Never had it happen myself. I agree with some of the other replies though. Watch for other tanks first, then worry about infantry. German armor is dangerous enough without having your tanks chasing a few crew members.

------------------

"Free your mind!"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JpeBob:

I'm not sure that qualifies as "flexible"...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, it's more flexible than Real Life™ when you consider that the available shells can magically change from HE to smoke and vice versa with a single order! smile.gif

Yes, it only applies to offboard artillery, as on-board units have specific allotments of HE, smoke and other ammo like HEAT(if applicable). Are you suggesting that the offboard arty be done this way too?

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

Seems to me that it represents that the batteries had pretty significant stocks of smoke and HE, which is realistic as far as I know. However, your FO doesn't have his own personal battery and not all assests can be given to him, so he gets a bit of a 'timeshare' deal in a way. Yes, you have access to this battery for a few fire missions, (or only one if it's rockets biggrin.gif ), however you don't have the battery at your beck and call. While you have them tho, you can load 'em up with whatever you want.

PeterNZ

OK, I can see that applying to the larger caliber guns, but what about the smaller ones like the 81mm/3" mortars? The US has 200 rounds which works out to 33.3 rds/tube (assuming 6-tube battery). The German's ammo works out to 25 rounds/tube. How many rounds did battalion mortars usually have on hand? If this is not a complete unit of fire for them I would think it to be more than half of the (typically) available ammo. I can also see having that much HE on hand, but what if you decide to fire all 200 rounds as smoke?

BTW, this is not a big issue for me! smile.gif

------------------

Cats aren't clean, they're covered with cat spit.

Ya, guess i'm making a big deal out of a small detail in an otherwise awesome game. But I felt the need to point out the discrepancy with onboard vs. off board artillery. I just got real mad when I found out that I had burned all my rounds as smoke when I needed to lay down some major supporting fire...

Now I know to do more "accounting"...