Individualism

The German Army contained.

Italians, Greeks, Poles, Estonians, Latvians, Lithuanians, Ukranians, English, Russians, Indian (separate units composed of POWS), French, Croats, Spanish and even a few Irish people (one of whom rather interestingly served with Grossdeutschland). I'm sure there's lots more but these were among the main contributors.

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe, there are a few more smile.gif Larger groups you missed were Finns, Belgians, Dutch, Danes, Rumanians, Slovaks, Cossacks (Don and Kuban mostly), and Georgians. Lesser groups consisted of Bosnians, Albanians, Slovenians, Hungarians, Swiss, Sweeds, Norwegians, and probably every other nationality they came into contact with.

Quite a list for sure!

In Combat Mission we only simulate distinct nationalities that had some major equipment and/or organization difference from "standard" formations. For example, the Germans won't have distinctly Dutch units. For all intents and purposes, the Dutch units were the same as German ones. Equipment was standard SS issue (not necessarily the same as the WH), uniforms were standard SS (collar tab difference), formations were standard SS, officers and even NCOs generally were German, paybooks were German issued, tactics were German, and the "official" language was German. In other words, nationalities fighting directly under the German banner were tightly integrated into the German armed services. This is VERY different from national Rumanian, Hungarian, etc. units that fought along side of German forces. They will be separate.

The reason why we are giving the Poles their own identity is because they were more independent and different from US and UK units. They had their own ranks, uniforms (to some extent), retained their own language, and used a hodgepodge of US and UK equipment. In short, they weren't the same wink.gif

Steve

YEAH!

Or as the polish say (actually sing)

"Jeszcze Polska nie zginela, puki Wisla plynie!"

(Poland is not lost as long as the river Wisla is running!)

And for anybody who wants to sing along:

"Yeshche polskah nye sginewa puky wiswa pwinye"

wink.gif (and no jokes about the "puky" please)

[This message has been edited by Moon (edited 03-10-99).]

Guest Lokesa

I think I would get a special feeling deep down inside every time I put a cap in one of our special personalities smile.gif Any chance of getting "Lokesa" included?

P.S. good job chris smile.gif

I checked for a "Lokesa," but none was included. Maybe the BTS peole will put it in. Each country is 200 names long (1,200 so far). Unless BTS requests more names, I'll not be sending them in. I have hopes for future modules (Russia, Greece, ect.).

------------------

Climb to Glory!

Guest John Maragoudakis

If they do a module for Crete, don't forget John Maragoudakis. Sheesh, why do I have to go up against the airborne?

On the subject of including gamers names w/i CM::

-Each person preordering a copy of CM could provide his name and requested nationality for inclusion within the CM name data base.

-Or Bigtime could simply include a deadline for submitting your name and nationality for inclusion.

-Or once gamers receive the game, they can manually edit their name within the database.

I kind of like the first two ideas although the second is best of course. I think players like the idea of their gaming personna showing up unexpectedly w/i the game. People would enjoy it in the same manner as seeing their name in a book/newspaper/magazine. It would almost be a PR move. But if people enjoy it and it doesn't take too much time, it might be worth considering. Just a thought. Not really trying to add more work.....

PS: Who knows, someone might volunteer to receive the names and nationalities and integrate them into the list he has already provided...<G> Although I can only imagine what would happen if someones name were accidently left out..

Ken

[This message has been edited by Ken Talley (edited 03-17-99).]

Guest John Maragoudakis

I was only kidding. I am perfectly happy to use the editor. Besides, my persona will see action under several fronts so think of me as a free agent.

Using your idea as a marketing action is interesting too. Let me set the marketing theme;

The headlines read;

'War Breaks out in Europe'

Uncles Sam needs you! Join the U.S. Army.

(yankee doodle music playing in the background). Pre order Combat mission today and be drafted in one of the combatant armies of the times.(Quick Time clip showing recruits lined up in recruiting stations). Authentic replicas of recruiting posters on the recruiting web page(per nationality).The form the player fills out will be reflective of each nationality's stationary, with national symbols placed where appropriate. Players can send in a real name or a made up name but the name must coincide with the appropriate army. Any duplicates can be ignored. Would be kind of neat knowing that many of the names could be authentic. Perhaps even add a 5-10 dollar fee and send/(email?) the participating player an official form with info on his platoon(whatever unit he gets).

Then as the game nears gold, more advertising, you send game mags news that troop ships have arrived in Europe,(or whatevery appropriate event signifying imminent action).

The appearance of the games on store shelves would be synchronized with the hype sent to the game mags such that player feels that they taking part of the war as it is starting. You would have several versions(per nationality) sent to the game mags. All this to pump up gamers for the release.

What da ya think? Too fancy schmancy?

[This message has been edited by John Maragoudakis (edited 03-17-99).]

An advertisement would be great! Again, I am partial to "Carmina Burana," but any classical music would do. Towards the end, they could have intertitles between war footage. "No Charts" (tanks rolling) "No Dice" (swastika on Berlin building explodes) "No Mercy"

------------------

Climb to Glory!