Firepower rating on split squads.

Yes I've done a search...Guachi knows this too. smile.gif

My question is this:

When you split a squad does total firepower remain the same or is there a penalty?

example) a 100FP becomes a 50/50 =100 or a 40/60 =100. something like that.

OR does it lose some FP and become something like 40/40 =80% or 50/30=80% something like that?

Just wondering....thanks

------------------

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

I have a related question re: split squads.

I just split a squad in Reisburg for scouting purposes but noticed that the ammo levels remained the same (40) as the full squad. Shouldn't this be split along the same lines as Lorak's example of FP?

BTW, i also did a search smile.gif

Err... I would think that the ammo would stay the same. I know that CM doesn't track ammo down to the soldier level, but if you think of it in those terms, each soldier would still have the same number of shots weither the squad split or not. Now, the firepower per burst for each half-squad would be half, so in the end it all comes out even.

Guest Big Time Software

Ben is totally correct about ammo levels.

The FP levels, so far as I know, are not penalized. But it won't be a straight split for sure. Why? Because the FP rating is based on the weapons. So unless a squad has exactly the same weapons in BOTH halves (like an SMG squad) they won't be the same.

Morale is weakened to make a split unit less likely to stand and fight.

Steve

Ahhh....i understand (i think)

Let me see if i have this right. The ammo figure in the unit status box represents the availible ammo for each individual soldier, but tracks the ammo expenditure at the half / full squad level. This then explains the ammo level being the same whether you split the squad or not.

Did i get it right? Please correct me if i'm wrong smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Black Sabot (edited 04-01-2000).]

As an experiment I split SS Motorized Squad C2 (in a saved version of LD turn 16).

At the outset C2 had one man wounded and 9 OK. They had one faust, 4 K98, 2 MP44, 1 MP40, and 2 MG42, total firepower of 222, ammo level 18.

After the split, C2a had 5 men with the faust, 2 K98, 1 MP44, 1 MP40, and 1 MG42, with total FP of 129 and the ammo stayed at 18.

C2b had 4 able men and the casualty, with 2 K98, 1 MP44, and one MG42. FP was 93 and ammo level was 18.

The firepower adds up to the original total and reflects capabilities of the various weapons. The ammo level remained the same, so I think of it as a fuel gauge (total ammo on-hand versus the level at the beginning) rather than an individual bullet count. Is this a correct interpretation?

I then sent C2a on what might normally be an ill-advised mission (sorry, men, this is science) while instructing C2b to Hide. They sprinted, albeit with some reluctance, across an open field to storm a stone house held by a US squad. They expended considerable ammo as they neared the house, and their ammo level went to Low (to my surprise they suffered 0 casualties and the US squad surrendered). C2b's ammo level remained at 18.

An Allied surrender abruptly cancelled the test, so I tried again. Splitting a healthy B1 with full ammo (40), I committed half to a charge and hid the other half. Then I brought up the second half in order to recombine after some action. After a couple of turns, B1b was down to ammo level 19, and the newly arrived B1a had 38. After recombination, the re-formed B1 had 28, the average of the 2 halves, rounded downward.

Beautiful!

Guest Big Time Software

Now try that sort of assault with a split Green unit in Last Defense smile.gif

Yes, all this is correct. Ammo is not tracked per man but per unit. Each unit of ammo represents one expendature of rounds, not a total bullet count. As you get closer your men will fire more, especially if armed with semi/full automatic weapons. There have been some detailed threads about ammo that I am sure Guachi can find for us all smile.gif

Steve

[toggle lurker mode]

Something I've noticed in toying with split squads is that there is a decrease in GLOBAL morale with every split squad. As Yanks in Reisburg, say, while advancing to contact, I have split squads to look for ambushes. I noticed a 2-3% drop in global morale for each split squad.

Whereas I can see the reasoning in lowering the morale of the squad that is split, the lowering of global morale is harder for me to understand. Perhaps the fellas are on edge, waiting for the main event to begin? Maybe a scuffle breaks out between two privates, and a gruff Sgt. says, "save it for the Germans." Kind of like this forum, as a matter of fact...

Another observation from splitting squads in Reisbg: the corporal in Sgt. Deiterich's veteran squad (B2?) is a pretty famous fella in these parts.

[toggle lurker mode]

If global morale is the sum of its parts, and the morale of a squad (one of the parts) is reduced by splitting (losing some degree of command, control, and communications), then wouldn't it make sense for the global factor to take a hit? The more split squads, the less overall cohesiveness.

PS: Picking the wheat of BTS posts from the archival chaff can be time-consuming- we eagerly await the fruit of Guachi the Gleaner.

I wonder how much of the FAQ will be relevant, based as it is on the beta demo, after Gold?

Guest Big Time Software

Mark IV, a good deal of the overall bits will, but many of the details will not be. And of course a lot has been added since then.

RudeLover (with a name like that, no wonder why you choose to lurk biggrin.gif), this might be a bug in the Beta Demo. The Global Morale is, as you suspect, supposed to reflect headcount. So splitting a unit into two shouldn't have any effect. I just did a test to make sure. I split nearly every squad of a company sized force and the Global Morale didn't drop one tiny bit. So whatever the case might be the final version doesn't knock you about for splitting units.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the prompt (instantaneous???) reply. Glad to hear it's not in the Gold and that I correctly understand the global morale figure. FWIW, from my quick experiment with the Beta, the drop in global morale didn't happen until the execution phase, and it might only happen if the two split squads have different orders?

As for the name, well, it's (almost) the one I was born with (though I am told it has a very different connotation in the original Norwegian). I've been told I should have been a rock star instead of a dull professor. Sigh.

Michael Loverude

Lorak and I were discussing this in the chat area yesterday, which is why he posted the question. The only answer given previously about split squad firepower was kind of vague.

Remember: The firepower numbers given in the unit screen DO NOT always equal the firepower number that appears when you target an enemy unit.

Take two squads that are otherwise equal in everything but experience. Target an enemy unit equidistant from your two squads. Notice that the firepower numbers ae not equal.

Jason

Guest Big Time Software

Yup, that is correct. Experience level modifies firepower. Better training/experience the more effective each burst is. So the chance of hitting goes up as well as the potential for damage. Note that this applies only to small arms vs. soft targets.

Steve