Element of Surprise(?)

Ok, here's the scene. Its a rainy spring day in '45. Crack SS infantry and armor are dug in/hiding and waiting for an expected (veteran) British and American assault. (This is a scenario I built.) The area is heavily forested so the Allies are forced to take the main highway down the center of the map. Several SS infantry ambushes have slowed down the leading tanks of the American lines, even managing to knock out of few of the Shermans in the process.

Here's where the plot thickens. The main objective lies directly ahead of the Americans, to the east. Discretely hidden in a small valley, a pair of SS Panther A's are waiting to flank the Allied spearhead and wreak havoc among its lines. Finally, the two German cats duck above the valley lip, achieving a perfect hull down position relative to the allied armor. Instantly both of them are targeted by every single visible tank (and even some that I hadn't seen). All of them calmly turn and shoot my poor, hapless panthers and within 12 seconds, both of them are burning and the crews are running for their lives.

My question is this: Is the element of surprise encompassed in this game at all? At this point, my evidence supports the negative. How could I have done this better? I mean, I know there are a ton of variables, but I feel that, tactically, I was in a perfect spot. Only one tank that I hadn't seen posed a threat (it had a side shot on my panther) and it wasn't even the one that killed it.

Another thing, the panthers just stopped where I told them to and targeted the nearest tank BUT DIDN'T SHOOT. Anyone have any info on why this is the case? I'm just a bit confused and disappointed that my tactic didn't work.

By the way, the overall odds between the entire Allied force and those panthers were about 12:1. However, only about 5 tanks had a shot on my panthers at any given time. They were hull down, dammit!!!

Chuckd

Sounds like a classic case of SHS (Stuff Happens Syndrome).

Surprise isn't really likely in a situation where the enemy is already in contact with your forces. They are already alert.

It's a difficult maneuver to pull off, but if you had laid smoke in front of the Amis before advancing to your firing position, they may have appeared piece-meal and could have been defeated in detail.

My fraction of a buck.

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>...but if you had laid smoke in front of the Amis before advancing to your firing position, they may have appeared piece-meal and could have been defeated in detail.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent idea, but the only units in the area that could have laid fire (due to LOS) were the panthers. And, to have them pop up and then drop smoke would be a dangerous affair as well.

Now, another question. Had my infantry laid off, and not attacked (just observed), would my panthers have been in a better situation? Would there have been an element of surprise in there?

Chuckd

Guest KwazyDog

Two other things Chuck....

* Were the tanks buttoned? Im guessing so, but this would have been a problem if not. Always keep you crew unbuttoned if you think there is enemy armour in the area, though if you there there are snipers or MG's about, dont smile.gif

* Did you use the hunt command. I always use it to be my vehicles into their final positions if I think there is even a remote chance of enemy armour have a LOS to mine. Actually, I use it pretty much all of the time, hehe.

Just some thoughts you probably already know anyways chuck. Hope theyve been of a small help smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

* Were the tanks buttoned?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think so, unfortunately. There weren't any snipers/MG's around to worry about... other than those MG's mounted on the US halftracks that were meandering about. I'll try this scenario again and make sure they aren't buttoned.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>* Did you use the hunt command<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Always, always, always! Like you, if I feel there is even the slightest chance of my tanks running into enemy troops, I use the hunt command.

Chuckd

Guest KwazyDog

"I think so, unfortunately."

Bingo Chuck! Remember that buttoned tanks take longer to aquire targets. This represent thier limited visability through vision ports, etc. This is very important in tank combat, Im always reminding my uncle to unbutton his tanks wink.gif