Another great surprise from CMBO

Guest AggroMann

Guest AggroMann

Wow, again i am totally amazed by the accuracy of this game. Yesterday (and im really angry at myself for not snapping a good picture of this) i was attacking with a 900 point German combined arms force. Perfect map, a very large hill with a road going up and over it into an american held town on the far side. Very sweet map for a QB but i won't get into too much detail on this. Anyhow, i had two Lynx's supported by a Fusilier Submachine platoon advancing on my right flank, up a steep part of the hill. I ordered my Submachine gunners to take posistions accordingly. I then ordered my Lynxs to turn to the right and proceed around the hill as the going was too steep for them other wise. About 10 seconds into the turn a bazooka round landed next to the lead lynx. A second bazooka round was fired a moment later and missed, this time revealing the position of the team, about a 100 meters away. A few of my Submachine gunners let off a few bursts, but even before my lead Lynx could react a THIRD round came in and went right through the turret killing three crew members and hit the ground in the back MAYBE a foot or so from my second Lynx! This quite frankly astonished me, i knew that CM was incredibly accurate when it came to Armor vs. Projectiles, but i had no idea that it could be THAT accurate! I must commend BTS (even though i've probably done it before many times) on a great job with CMBO! The game just keeps on getting more interesting! biggrin.gif

------------------

AGGRO-MANN

If I understand you, you think that a bazooka round (that detonates and effectively blows up) can penetrate and then land somewhere? What you seem to describe can happen with a AP solid penetrator round but not likely with a hollow charge round.

I have seen footage of very large HC rounds like a maverick missile shooting a jet through a tank but a 2.36" bazooka wouldnt do this.

Are you sure that was a bazooka rocket that went through the turret? The rocket is a shaped charge round and will punch a hole through the hit surface and spray the inside with hot plasma. My guess is that a hidden AT gun penetrated. If the Lynx exploded what you saw could be some scrap from the explosion. Just something to think about.

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Guest AggroMann

Well i had only partial fog of war on for one, so i know that the bazooka team was the one to kill the Lynx, and for two, playing out the scenario revealed that no enemy AT guns in the game could have seen the Lynx before it would have come around the hill. I'm 100% sure that the Lynx was a victim of the Bazooka round, the round just flew right through it and hit the ground behind it making a small crater, in the process knocking it out.

------------------

AGGRO-MANN

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AggroMann:

Well i had only partial fog of war on for one, so i know that the bazooka team was the one to kill the Lynx, and for two, playing out the scenario revealed that no enemy AT guns in the game could have seen the Lynx before it would have come around the hill. I'm 100% sure that the Lynx was a victim of the Bazooka round, the round just flew right through it and hit the ground behind it making a small crater, in the process knocking it out.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well ok....

but,

that doesn't sound right to some of us here, I would suggest that ANOTHER zook (or somthing else ) fired at the SAME time and missed and Its round landed behind the target and left the crater you saw.

No one here has every seen a round go through a unit like an AFV and register damgage AND exit and leave a crater, the penetration model as we understand it does not model this kind of reality.

In the game the way penetration ballistics are modeled it is my opinion that an 88mm round will not enter and exit a light allied AFV and then go on to impact another AFV or the ground. Sure there is penetration with no result but there is NOT penetration with damage and round continues to go on to leave a crater or impact another target.

Anyone else?

comments?

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 11-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 11-12-2000).]

Guest AggroMann

Well the reason I posted this was because it was so strange. Not that it makes any difference to you guys or the games model, but i did have a witness, my older brother. I'm tellin ya it was that bazooka round that did it, and call me stupid or hallucinogenic if you wish, there was nothing else around that could have touched my Lynx. I watched the round in the replay exit the bazooka and and fly in an arc across the terrain and through the turret of my Lynx and onto the ground behind it knocking out the Lynx, and from several angles, because it was so cool looking. smile.gif

------------------

AGGRO-MANN

OK, maybe it didn't actually go through the turret, it went right past it, but the graphics engine showed it as passing through the turret.

Sometimes my tank can see and fire at units even though I can't see them, because the corner of a building is in the way. It doesn't stop the game engine, though, from targeting and firing.

Just a thought.

But did you say that that round killed your tank, then caused a crater right behind it? That would be odd.

The exact same thing happened to my father in vietnam. He was in an M 42 duster, an open turreted tank. His platoon of 15 men was ordered to defend a bridge. They were attacked by about 100 NVA troops. The two other men in the turret with him were killed almost instantly, and he had to do their jobs plus his. He leaned over to get some ammo, when an RPG7 round blew into the turret, came between his arm and his body and went out the other side exploding behind. He was blown out of the tank with shrapnel in his neck, and awarded the Purple Heart for bravery. So it could happen.

Guest AggroMann

How many times must i explain!? The ONLY thing that was around was the Bazooka, When checked the bazooka's kills read:

3 kills

1 Lynx

After the battle i checked the map, not with the specific intention of looking for other things that could have destroyed it, but either way i noticed nothing else was around the area that the knocked out Lynx was in. I.E. no other foxholes. The nearest enemy infantry squad and the only 57mm AT gun in the game were both situated in the town. Not even in sight of the Lynx.

------------------

AGGRO-MANN

p45 of manual:

"there is a very small chance that a round can make it into and THROUGH a building, exploding on the other side"

not exactly a vehicle but it is modeled in that instance.

------------------

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show