Sherman question

I thought that the "W" variant of the sherman stood for Wet storage, making them less prone to blowing up. However, it also seems to have thicker armor on the front hull. Is this historically accurate? This is not the same as the extra welded armor put on in the field? (I thought the "+: refered to that)

Warren

You're right, the W does stand for wet stowage. And the + stands for extra field-added armor. But there's more to it than that..

The Sherman underwent many detail factor modifications during its production that did not seem to change the designation of the vehicle. Some such changes affected armor. The most notable was a mod that changed the front hull plate design. Originally it was 2" at a 56^ slope, which left the drivers' hatches sticking out in front like little turrets. Then in the "ultimate Sherman" mod, the front plate became 2.5" at 47^ with the drivers' hatches on the hull roof and the whole front plate flat across. Another mod changed the original 3-piece differential cover to a 1-piece, thicker casting.

So, for example, some M4A3s had the original armor configuration and some had the later version. Both were M4A3s but had different armor. But because the W mod was also a later improvement, it was more likely to appear on an "ultimate" Sherman than an early version. So on some versions of the Sherman in CM, you'll see the old front armor on the non-Ws and the new armor on the Ws.

------------------

-Bullethead

Want a naval sim? Check out Raider Operations at www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

Guest Michael emrys

The Squadron/Signal Sherman book, while it may fall somewhat short of being ultimate, is nevertheless useful and comes in quite a bit under $100. smile.gif

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Oberly:

Michael-what's the full title of this book?I'm not familiar with it.

Thanks,Mike<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't know off-hand and can't get to my copy without moving a ton of stuff (what happens when you are an avid reader in a small apartment). I tried to do a web search for Squadron/Signal's home page, but the most likely address was broken. Sorry, would like to help, but... frown.gif

Michael

Hello

There are actually a couple of Squadron/Signal books available on the market right now - Sherman in Action and Sherman Walk Around which deals with museum vehicles in detail. Both books focus on US use. The first title sells for about $12 Cdn while the 2nd goes for about $20 (its twice the size and was just recently published).

I can't remember the author names off hand but I can easily get the info as both titles are part of my library. If your interested both books should be easily available through a quality local hobby shop.

Cheers

Guest Michael emrys

Right! Sherman in Action is the one I have. I'm glad it's still in print. I did some more web searching after my last post and came up with the Sherman Walkaround title but could not find a listing for the Action one.

If you live in or near a city large enough to have a big hobby shop you might go in and see if they have the Squadron/Signal catalogue or can get you one (they are free I think). That should give you a full listing with prices.

Squadron/Signal is an excellent publishing house. Their books, while not the absolute last word on their subjects, manage to pack a lot of interesting information into a compact and affordable format.

Another thing to be on the lookout for if they are still in print, is the Bellona series of monographs of AFVs of all types and nationalities. If memory serves, each issue has 8 pages and gives the specs of 4 different vehicles.

Certain issues of AFV News had interesting articles on WW II vehicles.

Michael

Guest Michael emrys

Finally found a website offering Sherman in Action: www.cibmedia.com . Their search engine is a little awkward (so what else is new!), but with a little perseverance you can find it. They are offering it for US$12. No idea what S&H is.

They also have a load of unit histories and lots of videos. Looks like a good source.

Michael