Gammon bomb range/CQB tank battle

Whats the range on those Gammon bombs? And are these similar to the Sticky bombs from SPR, or dif? And whats the rifle grenade range? Something like the what the Panzerfausts have (the range next to them) would be nice for Americans.

Next prob. Had a a squad 5m away from a tank, right behind it, they throw the Gammon bomb and miss. Then why dont they rush the darn tank? Throw a grenade by the muffler (PzIVH with external muffler) Blow up the muffler, put a grenade in an engine hatch, do something. Instead they sit there and at 56 seconds get anhilated by the tank, which didnt fire at them for the whole turn.

At 5 meters you squad was close assaulting the tank. The graphics for a close assualt are abstracted. They will not actualy crawl on the tank but in RL thats what they are doing. Your guys just failed at taking it out.

Lorak

------------------

Proud commander of the CCT's Chinchilla Commando Teams

I've had a similar experience with demolition charges. I snuck a Pioneer squad with a demo charge behind an immobilized Sherman. Even though I had targeted the tank at the beginning of the turn, the squad neither lobbed the charge nor conducted a close assault once it got behind it. They just watched complacently as the turret swung around 180 degrees and mowed them down like grass.

What'd I do? Is there a minimum range associated demo charges? Is there a long "fuze time" or "setup time" that has to be waited out before the charge can be chucked? If either of the above are true, why might the squad not have either assaulted (there was no red targeting line from them during the playback) or ran for cover?

Any thoughts from anyone?

thanks

------------------

"...Pleasant is it also to behold great encounters of warfare arrayed over the plains, with no part of yours in the peril." - Lucretius

Close assaulting tanks is fun and tricky.

In the case above Mess Kit might have attempted to co-ordinate the close assault on the tank, since its turret could still rotate, by providing that tank with a juicy target right out in front. Depending on what you had left to sacrifice you could have tried to have some expendable quick vehicle dart across the front of it to keep the turret pointed away from the infantry close assaulting from then back. An anit-tank team ('zook or 'shreck) out in front will also keep that turret busy and pointed away from your close assault rear attack.

The close assault works best when your infantry have a head quarters or Lt. leader in command radius. The close assault on tanks also works better when your units have more experience meaning that they are Elite, Crack, or Veteran. I have not had good luck with regulars even in Command radius of a regular leader when close assaulting.

From what I read you did everything right.

You must get your close assault team close behind or to the flank of the tank, then target the tank and plot the order to run right to where it is. you can't see this but some of your guys should crawl under the tank and some should crawl over it and then they do whatever they can to exploit some weakness in the tank like stuffing the demo charge down the rear deck engine ventilation slits. Now you can't see any of this but if your infantry that are close assaulting, are taking fire from some of the enemy's supporting units they likely won't likely do a very good job. But if they are unmolested and if they are verteran, crack or elite and in command radius of a HQ unit and if they have a demo charge, they will likely succeed, but like all the war games you've ever played, again, this just comes down to a roll of the virtual CM cyber dice. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you get your guys killed in an attempt to "get lucky"

keep trying

there is nothing more satisfying than taking out your opponent's last tank with a well co-ordinated close assault with infantry and demo charges!

smile.gif

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 08-30-2000).]

yes, 5 or 10 meters is a good range. Another point I haven't seen posted here yet. Is try damn sure to make sure the tank is buttoned! if it isn't it is more like a suicide charge.

Lorak

------------------

Proud commander of the CCT's Chinchilla Commando Teams

Two things. One is I have the same general question with panzerfausts, which I just posted to the CM Tips forum. My limited attempts to use panzerfausts on tanks have all failed - my guys get spotted first, shot up, and then they throw grenades (which do work ok but take a while) while not using their panzerfausts at all. Maybe my bad luck.

The other thing I've seen though is the tank commander using his top-mounted MG on my troops which are right there. Lorak advised to try to make sure that a tank is buttoned before close assaulting. This is good advice to avoid getting detected. However it seems to me that if you have an infantry squad at very close range to an unbuttoned tank, the tank commander better button up immediately since he's outnumbered by infantry with small arms. Instead, what I've seen in my limited experience is the tank commander shooting the nearby enemy infantry with the turret-top MG... seems possible but I think unlikely - in general, the tank commander would button up and order the tank to back away and fire. If he stayed around to fire the top MG, I don't think the odds would be in his favour.

I also think it should usually be the case that a panzerfaust-armed squad coming into close range of an enemy tank would use their panzerfaust right away, and would probably get the shot off before the tank noticed them, turned the turret and started picking them off.

PvK

Pvk,

That top mounted mg is there for two reasons, the first anti-aircraft the second anti-infantry , as an x-tanker i would be very upset with any commander who gave up his mg post to hide from an infantry attack. The tank could still flee the assult , but flee while laying lead down.

just my 2 cents worth.

(edited for spelling)

[This message has been edited by Sgt.Morgue (edited 09-04-2000).]