PBEM enhancement suggestion

Okay, I have just cleared a "batch" of PBEMs, and I have come up with an idea as a result of these experiences.

How about, when Combat Mission asks you to save the PBEM file, that it compresses the resulting file, perhaps cutting the size to two thirds or a half.

This special file is then mailed to your opponent, who then opens it in Combat Mission, which then "expands" the game file.

This would reduce the huge amount of time involved in swapping files.

BTS must have some insight into how these PBEM files are created by CM, so perhaps they would be best placed to optimise these files, whereas if you do it with a Zip stuffer, the PBEM file is treated like any other computer file.

Any mileage in this idea?

------------------

"War is like the cinema. The best seats are at the back... the front is all flicker."

- Monte Cassino by Sven Hassel

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>when you have multiple PBEM's going on some filenames might be the same.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the PBEM file name is whatever you name it, so can't you just name each file with a different name?

------------------

Charlie don't surf!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Block test of the sort used by CM is resistant to stuffing, maybe a 10% gain in Zip format (give it a wirl).

I think one of the reasons a text file is used is that every server knows how to handle that MIME type. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. the upshot of all of this is that CM2 will be more complex, the PBEM files will be bigger, and yet most people will still be using 56k modems. frown.gif

------------------

"War is like the cinema. The best seats are at the back... the front is all flicker."

- Monte Cassino by Sven Hassel