Reading Doubler to get ready!

Kind souls in the CMHQ Annex chat room steered me to read Michael Doubler's Closing with the Enemy for insight into ETO tactics, and I have been tearing into it the last few days. So far, I'd have to report that it is definitely giving me food for thought that can improve my techniques once CM arrives.

Has anyone else here read this book? I got mine from Amazon, and the paperback was very inexpensive. I also got Balkoski's Beyond the Beachhead, but haven't started it so far.

Joe

Just got it in a major raid on used military bookstores back East.

Among other treasures:

William Folkestad's "PanzerJaeger", the story of AT gunner Bernhard Averbeck (very good but short; there is one paragraph in here that provides the fuel for the great HE-skip fire debate),

"Condemned to Live", the story of Franz Frisch, artilleryman in Poland, France, Ostfront, and Italy (not as good from the tactical POV, but a few nuggets),

"German Battle Tactics on the Russian Front" by Steven Newton (haven't started).

I also reclaimed my old Army Manuals:

"German Defense Tactics Against Russian Breakthroughs" (DA No. 20-233) and "Russian Combat Methods in WWII" (DA No. 20-230).

These are must reading for CM2 and quite helpful in general. Looking forward to Doubler's book after all the good things I've heard here.

[This message has been edited by Mark IV (edited 05-30-2000).]