Tactics Primer

Why 16 % since in the 6 crew one is carrying the tube, another the base plate, that give ammo ratio on 4 crew members. that 25% for each. Also while firing you have a man amming and another directing the operations, it give the rest the task of feeding the the mortar, thats also 25% for each crew lost.

The problem to put a mortar in forest is the angle of the firing arc. you have to be away from trees as much as posible. And you can hit trees with your mortar projectiles. mortar crew must have a certain distances to all trees in the direction of the firing. the only good protection for a mortar is a hole in the ground with some sand bags around. Forget forest.

This is game help and thus is modified from real-world so as to be applicable to the game.

FWIW I've seen a lot of mortar pits dug in on the edge of wooded areas (not too heavily wooded mind you). Also, I believe that if you put mortars in woods there's a slight possibility of a round detonating in trees above your heads but that's really really minimal.

I'm not sure about it but I'm pretty sure I've seen it once or twice.

What is my AfrikaCorps saying here? wink.gif

Actually it was/is pretty common to put mortars on the edges of clearings or paths in woods, of course dug in.

Reason was/is to have maximum protection against being spotted from the air.

The reason to have good paths nearby is obvious I guess wink.gif

Here´s some additional info some of you might find usefull:

MORTAR RECONNAISSANCE AND POSITION SELECTION

Reconnaissance for mortars determines its use for mission accomplishment. Although ground and air reconnaissance can be used, the section sergeant normally performs a map reconnaissance. A detailed ground reconnaissance is the preferred method of locating positions for the mortar section, but lack of time and mobility may not allow it. The mortar section sergeant accompanies the commander on the leader's reconnaissance.

a. The general location of the mortar section is chosen by the company commander. He decides the location based on a careful consideration of the METT-T factors as well as:

(1) The need to provide maximum coverage of the company's area. He considers both minimum and maximum ranges of each type round. Positioning the mortar section near the center of the rifle company sector or battle position normally provides the best target coverage and flexibility.

(2) The need to place the mortars in defilade. This protects the mortar section from enemy direct and low-angle fires while still allowing it to support the company.

(3) The need to provide some measure of security for the mortar section. The section should be positioned near or with other elements of the company. The commander can position the mortars near the company CP, near the rearmost rifle platoon, with the company trains, or with the reserve force, if there is one.

(4) The need to provide for ease of ammunition resupply. The chosen position need not be directly on a route for resupply vehicles. However, if the position is near one, the resupply problem is eased if vehicles are used. Since the mortar ammunition is lightweight, resupply by a carrying party over short distances is possible.

b. Once the company commander designates the general location of the mortar section, the section sergeant reconnoiters and determines the precise location for each squad.

c. Once a section occupies a position and the mortars are laid, the section sergeant initializes the MBC or prepares an observed firing chart. Ready ammunition is unpacked, and communications are established. The mortars are left in temporary firing positions, and the emplacements are built to Stage I specifications. These positions are updated until they are at Stage III. Alternate and supplemental positions can be prepared or designated.

d. Communication with the mortar section is the key to effective employment. The section uses the single man-packed radio to monitor the company command net. The radio can be placed on the frequency used by the platoon having priority of fire. It can be used to enter the FIST fire control net but does not operate routinely in that net. Wire is the primary means of communication during long halts or defensive operations. The company commander ensures that the wire is quickly laid to the mortar section and that all platoons pass calls for fire to the mortars. Voice is the most common means of controlling the fires during fire without an FDC. Initial commands to move or fire may be passed to the section over the company command net but not long fire missions.

e. Advance party operations by the light mortar section are the exception rather than the rule. The size of the section and the simplicity of the weapon make a rapid and efficient emplacement possible without an advance party. When the section is expecting to move, mainly at night, and enough time exists to reconnoiter and prepare the new position, the section sergeant does so. A set of direction and baseplate stakes, marked for easy identification, can help the crew in emplacement. Chemical lights of different colors can be useful, depending on the tactical situation.

That´s what FM 7-90 1992 has to say about it, and tactics haven´t changed much since WW2 concerning the emplacement of mortars.

Helge

==============

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: desertfox1891@hotmail.com

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Capsule/2930/

[This message has been edited by DesertFox (edited 02-07-2000).]

I thought mortar rounds had safety devices to prevent them from detonating unless they have turned downward at the top of the arc. And some form of delay between firing (acceleration) and arming to prevent them from detonating in a nearby tree.

But perhaps that´s a post-WWII invention.

(arming= when the internal safeties are released, (I´m not quite sure of the technical term))

LOL. I know what you're talking about there actually but I haven't heard about any mortar shells with such a mechanism in WW2.

I haven't heard about them but that's not to say they didn't exist... I just may not have heard about them. Even if they existed you could make an argument that every so often that system would fail and one WOULD explode when it hit a tree branch.

In any case IU'm not even sure branch hits on their upward arc is modelled in CM... I just said I thought I saw something which looked like that once wink.gif. FAR from conclusive proof.

Guest Seimerst

All the foregoing discussion on mortar emplacement presupposes that the firing unit has a forward observer (FO) that can call for fire and adjust fire. The role of the FO has changed dramatically from what it was in WWII. Many FOs in the US Army were drafted math majors in college. FOs then did much of the firing computation that is done in today's FDC (fire direction center) All about the Gun-target line and the obsever-target line etc. Those 60mm mortars I have seen in the beta don't have any FOs-- the gun teams need to see their targets for them really be effective. The German 81s have "spotters" so their batteries can be located be in safer firing positions. At least that is my feeble understanding of it all.