Will there be any provision for the AI to take over if an opponent can't continue?

When my exhausted friend had to leave the other night at turn 26 of Last Defense, forcing me to surrender in a lost game, it occurred to me that it might be useful to provide for the AI to take over when a player has to leave the game. After all, people get tired, things happen on the domestic front, etc., any one of which could bring proceedings to a screeching, often frustrating, halt.

We were playing hotseat, but it seems to me that this might also be applicable in LAN/Internet games as well. I don't know much about code, but I would think that it would simply be a matter of telling the AI who was where, what the goals were, then letting it do its thing.

What say you?

Regards,

John Kettler

except that it creates a serious potential for cheating:

1) take an email game

2) copy said email game to another name

3) tell computer that opponent from game created in step 2) has quit and is now to be played by AI

4) quickly play out second game to see where opponents forces are, and what they consist of

5) use info from step 4) to whip opponent in real game.

Still, an interesting option and one I've often thought about in relation to other games.

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

Guest Madmatt

You made the right assumption but came to a totally wrong conclusion. Yes it would be a matter of letting the Ai know the objectives and goals etc...But it would be (and is as they areant going to do it) prohibitevily time consuming to write code to get into the mind of the former human opponent. The Ai is very advanced and developes a complex stratagey each and every time it plays. What you are asking is for the Ai to suddenly jump in and KNOW what the human was attempting to do! There isnt a computer in existance today that could do that to the level that would maintain a decent game for you to play against. The computer would sudddenly have to process all the previous turns repsonses and moves and then analyze what happened then come up with a new suitable plan of action that still took into consideration what the human had done before...That aint some small code change there bub but an entire restructure of the core game logic.

This same point was raised in earlier threads where BTS stated why it was not possoble for the AI to have command of SOME of your forces...

You know its quickly becoming (and some would say already long past) that every single question and observation made here has already been addressed.

I think its a safe bet that ANYTHING that would only require a few code changes was done a long time ago and people should just cope with the fact the game will have what it will have and be content that what that will be is lightyears more advanced that what they have seen so far...

But I also know in these tired bones that these type of questions will continue as about every few months we get an influx of new blood (which is great, don't get me wrong!) who will ask the same tired old questions over and over...

Madmatt...

p.s. By the way for the record...I think handing over control to the AI would be COOL too, it just aint gonna happen... biggrin.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 02-21-2000).]

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JonS:

except that it creates a serious potential for cheating:

1) take an email game

2) copy said email game to another name

3) tell computer that opponent from game created in step 2) has quit and is now to be played by AI

4) quickly play out second game to see where opponents forces are, and what they consist of

5) use info from step 4) to whip opponent in real game.

Still, an interesting option and one I've often thought about in relation to other games.

Regards

Jon

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's the difference here if you start a Hot-Seat, PBEM, TCP/IP game with a particular set-up and plan in mind, and then go and play a single player game using same setup and plan to play it out to see how your plan works? Of course, the AI's setup and plan are gonna be different than your real-life opponent, but you get what I mean.

I was particularly thinking of a 'quick battle' where you purchase units from a points pool. In that case knowing how your opponent had spent their "CM-Dollars" would make a huge difference.

However, even in a scenario like Reisburg, knowing that the German player had put the 88 in the town rather than on the hill makes a big difference to the way an Allied player goes through the opening moves.

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 02-21-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Jons, you CAN do that with the existing DYO module. You can buy the AI the units you want from a set amount and then let it play against you. Is this what you were talking asking? I think there is still ALLOT of confusion over the DYO module and actually creating a sceanrio/operation from scratch. There are VERY significant differneces in the two...Hmmmm I smell an article brewing...Hey Fionn? Wake up and get to work!!! wink.gif

Madmatt

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

Guest Madmatt

So did I but your message that I was responding to seemed to ask (IMO) a much different question...

Be that as it may, it STILL aint gonna happen...

Madmatt....

------------------

combathq.thegamers.net

Ok, what I meant ( wink.gif ) was that the ability to drop from a human opponent to an AI opponent is a bad thing to have as a feature. (first post)

(second post) it is different to setting up a scen and playing it through agin the AI since the player has options at nearly every step which make each game different - although you could use that approach to check out the oppositions OOB in a pre-set scenario.

(this post) IMO, its a good thing that you won't be able to swap opponent types.

confused.gif

Jon

------------------

Ubique