two questions.

hunter19

Major H,

Two questions, firstly are there any plans for additional solitaire scenarios, or are there some already out there I can download? I bought v4, and just downloaded the 405 patch.

Secondly, during a PBM game, after each player recieves his opponents orders, the game does a combat phase - as there are 'probability' events (Tank A has 25% chance to hit Tank B etc) if each player's combat phase is independant of the other, wouldn't each player see slightly different results?

For instance, during my combat phaseMy M1A1 fires on his T-80, but in my game I am unlucky and do not score a hit. But during his combat phase, my M1A1 kills his T-80. I haven't found any way of checking if this is so, but I was wondering.

Sorry if I waffled, and thanks for a great game.

Hunter19

>are there any plans for additional solitaire scenarios,

Not until the new scenario editor is finished and a retail v5 is released - neither of which is likely to happen anytime soon.

> or are there some already out there I can download?

Not really. Scenario creation by hobby users never really took off with TacOps since the editing tools can not create a scenario that includes a solitaire/AI opponent. They are only suitable for creating scenarios for human vs human play.

> I bought

>v4, and just downloaded the 405 patch.

A new patch (405AN) should appear in the next couple of days. I will post a note here when it is available.

>Secondly, during a PBM game, after each player recieves his opponents

>orders, the game does a combat phase - as there are 'probability' events

>(Tank A has 25% chance to hit Tank B etc) if each player's combat phase is

>independant of the other, wouldn't each player see slightly different

>results?

No. Programming magic causes events to play out the same on both computers - otherwise TacOps PBEM would not work at all.

Originally posted by hunter19:

. . . Two questions, firstly are there any plans for additional solitaire scenarios, or are there some already out there I can download? I bought v4, and just downloaded the 405 patch.

Hunter,

I play mostly solitare myself so I'll list my ideas, some may be useful.

1. Change blue OOBs. Most of the solitare scenarios are "balanced" [i.e., a human player would have a reasonable chance of success playing Red or Blue. Unbalance them. Delete the existing blue units and import or create your own.

2. Upgrade RED. In addition adding optional units to Red on the options menu, you can upgrade red's equipment using any unit in the database. If you really want to suffer, give OPFOR any optional minefields. Breaching obstacles under fire is always a pain in the axx!

3. Change the victory conditions. Try exiting 20% of your force off the East map edge in DeGoey. Did it? Okay, change all OPFOR SU-57 anti-aircraft guns to dug in T-90 tanks with thermal sights. Try it again.

4. Play logisitics. A truck full of ammo [log packs] is just a juicy target to any red unit.

And if you are pressed for time, there is always PBEM. That let's you do a more leisurely game.

Enjoy,

Originally posted by Coyote:

4. Play logisitics. A truck full of ammo [log packs] is just a juicy target to any red unit.

That reminds me to ask:

- a TacOps armed unit

- with no target priorities set by the player

- has various enemy units in range

- some of them an armed units farther away but in range

- some of them a logpacks and unarmed transport closer (higher hit probability)

Will the unit prefer to take the low chance at the armed unit or go for the easy kill first? I assume with equal kill probabilities it will always go for the armed enemies.

For the target priorities of my unit, does it play a role whether an armed unit has a weapon that can do harm to my unit?

One thing to remember, you as a player can see any enemy unit that is spotted by any of your units. But any specific friendly unit MAY NOT be able to spot a specific enemy unit [within LOS] because of the cover value of the terrain the enemy unit is in.

Having said that - IIRC - A unit with no priorities set will usually attack spotted enemy units based on the overall "value" of the unit and the distance to target. I don't recall which is more important to the game engine.

Enjoy,