How about video cards for Macs?

After reading the thread on PC video cards I'm wondering how much of a difference there is for us Mac users? I'm using a G3/233 w/160 mb's ram and w/6mb's of video ram, that's it and CM plays and looks good enough for me. Anyone out there with an upgraded video card in their Mac to give an opinion?

Guest GriffinCheng

Everyone,

Are you people playing the latest beta on a 8MB ATI?

I finally paid another USD700 more for a 400 G3 Powerbook and I am still waiting for it to ship...

Griffin @ work

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng (edited 04-28-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

Lucerno,

I would think about upgrading to more VRAM if possible, or grab a new card. I can promise you that texture quality will suffer with a 6MB card. The average scenario will fill up an 8MB card, while varried ones will do 10-12 MB or so. I don't think we have any that would tax a 16MB card, but it certainly is possible (put in one of everything and who knows smile.gif).

We upped the resolution quality of all the textures when we redid them, so downsampling will happen for cards lower than 16 to some degree or another. Mind you, CM is smart and will only downsample stuff until it hits the card's max. So an average scenario will only suffer a small hit to fit in a 6MB card. But like I said, you are almost assured to get some downsampling for every game you play unless you have 8MB or better.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Are you people playing the latest beta on a 8MB ATI?

I finally paid another USD700 more for a 400 G3 Powerbook and I am still waiting for it to ship...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm running it on a G3 Powerbook 500, and it screams. The graphics in the beta run fine.

I'm not running a video card in my Mac just 6mb's of vram. The graphics in the game are a bit blocky but the units move smoothly. I guess according to what BTS replied that a videeo card will make a vast difference. Will look into the new Voodoo 4 card as that I believe will fit into my Mac's pci slot.

Many thanks for the feedback and also interesting to see who's got Macs out there.

Regards,

Patrick

Guest Germanboy

Hmm, does anyone know if VRAM is upgradable on the iMac DV? I don't think it is, but there is hope. Wouldn't mind having 16MB instead of 8.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

Hmm, does anyone know if VRAM is upgradable on the iMac DV? I don't think it is, but there is hope. Wouldn't mind having 16MB instead of 8.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is not upgradable, too bad.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

It is not upgradable, too bad.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cheers Jarmo. I guess I will just sell it when I leave the UK then and get myself a G4/500. Gee, what a drag smile.gif

Andreas

------------------

Andreas

Guest Big Time Software

Ah, that explains that Lucerno! I was wondering what "great thinker" put a 6MB 3D card in a G3 smile.gif

Yes, do yourself a HUGE favor and get a 3D card. Even a Voodoo 3 or (better yet) a good ATI card. I have a G4 with the stock 16MB ATI card in it and I get a great frame rate even in the big scenarios.

Once you see CM running on a decent 3D card you will never, ever be able to play it in software 3D mode again. I promise you that smile.gif

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the advice, will look forward to the voodoo 4 when it comes out.

I've got a beige G3 which doesn't come with a video card just 2 MB's of VRAM which I upgraded to 6MB. Only from the B/W Macs and onwards do the stock Macs come with a video card. Judging from the screen shots that various members post on their web sites I didn't see much of a difference in image quality over what I have in my Mac. As far as frame rates goes, well still looks fine to me but then again I have nothing to compare with and I will admit ignorance on that!

I'm sold on getting my Mac upgraded.

Patrick

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Once you see CM running on a decent 3D card you will never, ever be able to play it in software 3D mode again. I promise you that smile.gif

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got a relativly bad 3D card (12 meg Voodoo 2) and I couldn't go to playing it on software mode. I tried switching it to a resolution that the V2 doesn't support (1024 x 768) and it played okay but still nothing compared with the V2 in 800 x 600. For all of you who don't have reasonable 3D cards I really suggest you get one.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com