Patch 1.03 Bugged ?

Guest AL the red

Guest AL the red

Received CM on Tuesday,and patch 1.03 Thursday,oh happy days!!

However,playing the patched game today i have noticed that every now and then my frontline troops sometimes turn and engage their comrades.Is this a bug? Or is it a "friendly fire" incident?.I know enemy units can be mis-identified from one type to another,but can my own troops now get mistaken for the enemy?

Guest KwazyDog

It can happen AL smile.gif...out of interest, was it a night/poor visability battle and on what scale did it happen (ie. how many units were engaging your own)?

Guest AL the red

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

It can happen AL smile.gif...out of interest, was it a night/poor visability battle and on what scale did it happen (ie. how many units were engaging your own)?

Ok,fair enough! It was a night battle (my first )Only one unit was involved and i prevented any actual shots from being fired.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Guest KwazyDog

AL, Id say that was it then. smile.gif I believe the only time it can really happen is night, maybe in poor visability.

I don't know if this is a bug in the game, the new patch or a natural occurance, but I was playing "Bitche Salient" which has overcast daylight conditions, when one of my squads area targeted an empty clump of trees. Even after I moved them into the clump to show them that there wasn't anything in there, they still insisted on targeting the trees. Dummies! Anyone see this before?

Wayne.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

a few strange things I had happen with 1.03

I had a halftrack (german) advancing along

and it came up to a cromwell...the half track

fired its machine gun at it but instead of

flooring it into reverse and fleeing for cover it kept going and almost got popped.

(it finally did when the cromwell hit it the turn later). When I mean it kept going, it really did, out in the open towards the cromwell instead of reversing it into the nearby trees!

Wayne,

You HAVE to cancel an area fire command once it is given. My guess is you may have inadvertedly issued an area fire command.

Coe,

That HT was doing the "traverse dance". Basically the BEST chance for something small and fast like a HT is not to reverse when fired upon but to force the enemy's turret to traverse. The HT was trying to race past the Cromwell so as to try and outdistance the traverse. It's an advanced tactic and something human players will only learn from the AI. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't but usually it is better than simply reversing the HTs.

true true, Fionn, but it wasn't apparent that

the HT was trying to do that because it

a.) the Crommy was firing at it several times

b.) the HT (perhaps due to terrain limitations) wasn't exactly maximizing the

amount the crommy had to traverse

By the way do you know if it was more common

for tanks to move - stop - fire - move rather

than move, slow down fire speed up? and is there a way to do the first one in reverse, I assume that "Hunt" does the first one in forward motion?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coe:

a few strange things I had happen with 1.03

I had a halftrack (german) advancing along

and it came up to a cromwell...the half track

fired its machine gun at it but instead of

flooring it into reverse and fleeing for cover it kept going and almost got popped.

(it finally did when the cromwell hit it the turn later). When I mean it kept going, it really did, out in the open towards the cromwell instead of reversing it into the nearby trees!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was at the Fort Benning, GA Infantry school we were taught to charge an ambush. Fire everything you've got, and pray. I was always glad that I didn't have to put that to a real world test!

------Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Airborne:

When I was at the Fort Benning, GA Infantry school we were taught to charge an ambush. Fire everything you've got, and pray. I was always glad that I didn't have to put that to a real world test!

------Chris

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aw, you mean you can't upload your GPS coordinates through your squad commander's laptop to the battlefield central routing service so that the orbiting laser satellite can pinpoint all the non-friendly units on the ground in your locale and fry them with particle beams? Geez. That's too bad. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Disaster@work (edited 07-28-2000).]

no doubt charging an Ambush or at least move to get out of the killing zone, to a place where you can employ your weapons effectively

or to bring them to bear. But what if you

can't destroy the ambushing unit - i.e tank

vs. halftrack, you got to escape.....

I suspect charging an ambush is to create chaos out of order - and even the odds that way (and to prevent the enemies' indirect

and high fragmentation weapons to bear) when I mean create chaos out of order, I'm looking at it from the ambushing side which in some ways has everything "orderly" at least its plan etc.

There are really two parts to the battledrill for being caught in an ambush. The first part is for the units caught in the killzone to charge the ambushers immediately. The second part is for the units unengaged to maneuver onto the flank and engage the enemy immediately.

This really does work even with infantry versus a tank ambush, because there is really nothing that an infantry man can't destroy when his life is on the line at close range. There are alot of options when infantry is close to a tank in his blind spots. A grenade in a forced escape hatch. A pistol to a vision slit. A molotov cocktail in the engine intakes. And, that's represented in CM. Infantry squads are lethal to armor in close combat.

In illustration, I had situation last night in CM were I was caught with infantry against armor. I was playing a double blind quick battle armor versus armor in which the computer had given me 4 shermans, a platoon of infantry, and 2 mortars. Toward the end of the game, I was pinned down by tanks and my last sherman had blown up. I thought at that point the game was hopeless and that this would be the first game I had lost to the AI. So in an act of desperation, I charged the nearest group of tanks guarding an objective about 100m away with my infantry. I killed one the tanks in close combat and got to the objective at the cost of all of the platoon, but two men. Those two men were eventually driven away from that objective, but they later charged another objective that was further away from where the germans were concentrating. At that objective, those 2 men surprised a lone Nashorn, killed it, and gunned down the crew as they bailed out which secured my victory. If I've stayed or tried to escape, they would have just butchered me anyway, and I would have lost.

In all the CM games I've played that is not an isolated incident. Well handled infantry can bag even the meanest tank in close combat.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Pattison (edited 07-28-2000).]