HQ units too leathel???

I don't know about you all, but lately I've been finding that enemy HQ units are smoking a lot of my troops as I advance.

And on the second hand, I've noticed that enemy AI is prone to shooting at HQs also. They'll really go after them more now for some reason.

My question is has there been any tweaks in the code that have created this new agressiveness towards HQ units?

The reason why I ask is that I just played "A Night in Cheneux" with the visibility range of only 54m. I'm rushing a house with a platoon + and it contains only HQ and an Arty Spotter that I soon find out. My platoon gets beat up pretty bad by taking that house. A hidden SS Rifle 44 squad popped up just to the rear of the house. I think he may of had something to do with it, but this also happened elsewhere on the field where a HQ seemed to have inflicted many more casulaties than usual on a platoon of infantry that was just sitting there in some woods.

I dunno if the AI has been tweaked to make HQ's juicier, but I've always had them targeted as a proiority... and oddly enough I try and target them when I can too. They are just too powerful to ignore. Kill an HQ and you get a fighting force like a platoon of soldiers split into seperate roving bands. Much easier to deal with.

As for their leathality... Well, in a building it's going to be dicey anyway, but the types of weapons that German HQ's have is ideal for fightig in a closed in area... pistol and an smg or two and maybe a few grenades, maybe are ideal for defending in a building... If you look at the unit db, German HQ units close range firepower is impressive. It's a different story out in the open...

I agree woth Compassion, the enemy has always picked off my HQ's if possible. On the other, that HQ's are more powerful, I have not noticed this yet.

Shatter50 to Shatter trying to get back to member.

Junior Member Bah!

[This message has been edited by Shatter (edited 12-29-2000).]

Yeah, I just checked the scenario from the German side. The HQ unit was an *Elite*, so maybe that had something to do with it. rolleyes.gif And I believe the other ones I faced elsewhere were Elite also. So no wonder. I kept saying, "How am I taking so many casualties from freakin' HQs?"

------------------

"Live by the sword, live a good LONG life!"-Minsc, BGII

I've also found that German HQs are quite bold, even rushing some of my squads in the open. Of course I dropped the entire HQ cold, but to tell you the truth, I felt a little bit of guilt, because they had no chance. It has happened a few times too.(Once an HQ unit popped out of nowhere and took out one of my Sherman's with a well placed grenade!) Maybe they had their eyes set on a Knights Cross!

David

HQ's are actully less powerful then historically. Everyone had at least a rifle/carbine and the German platoon HQ had a Mg42 instead of one of the Mp40s.