Can BTS explain how the ground tiles are applied?

I assume that currently, CM assigns the highest terrain on any given map the lightest ground texture tile, and the lowest, the darkest one - with all the other elevations inbetween given the coresponding texture tiles. Am I correct in this assumption? To me this is the best method, because in the Public Beta demo, terrain tetxures are hardwired to elevation, so all 3 scenarios have different overall colours to the map. This means, that if a map was at sea level, all the ground tetxures would be very dark, and vice versa using the Beta demo system.

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there! :P

You would be correct...

There are 20 elevation levels in CM and each has a corresponding texture.. the way these are set up, the higher in elevation you go, the lighter the map is, also the color changes slightly.. it goes more brown at higher elevations, and more of a green at the lower end. Where the map is, relevant to sea level, is irrelevant smile.gif

If you make a map that uses elevations 0 - 10, you will have a greener colored map, if you use elevations 11 - 19 you map will be brown in color.

MY concern is -

If I make a map with just elevations 0-5, then the whole map will just green, too green in fact smile.gif

I think it would be better if elevation 5 (being the highest)be assigned the tile 20 and elevtation 0 assigned tile 0, and elevation 1-4 assign evenly spaced tiles between 0 and 20. That way every map you play, has a nice variation in tile colours smile.gif

WHat I mean is that the CM engine will do this at the start of each game when it first draws up the map.

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Hompage ----> http://www.geocities.com/coolcolj

Double your immersion with my Tweaked Textures and Saving Private Ryan sound set mods for CM!! Check out my new Textures V2.0 photo Gallery and my music while your there! :P

Dave got it exactly right, you can play around with using different sets of elevations 0-4, 8-13, 16-19, etc. and the color combinations will be different for each (This is a rather simple 1 keystroke change in the editor).

CoolColJ, CM's elevations took a lot of time, and A LOT of tweaking to get perfected. Wait until you get the full game, I do not think you will be disappointed.