Newbie Mod Question

Glenn

I'm one very happy camper!!! :D Got my copy of CMBO/CMBB today after the backorder of a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the speedy service Battlefront! That was quick considering it had to clear Canadian Customs and all. Appreciate the efforts there. The games are outstanding (got the bundle) and the manual is equally as great!

OK, dumb question of the week time. Since I'm very new to this game, and I've read most posts regarding mods and definitely want to employ a good number of them, may I please pose a couple of questions on that here?

1) Are the tanks, uniforms, etc. that are used in winter the same ones used in summer in the game (thus the reason for the mods)? If so, I take it that each time you add a mod, you have to replace that unit with a season-specific version?

2) I've read some about CMMOS (?) and gather it is a very handy utility. I'm pretty much accustomed to making mod changes manually (in MS Flight Simulator) so I know exactly what is being changed, but with reference to Q1 above, that might get to be more than a small pain in the derriere if there is only one set of uniforms for all seasons. Could anyone please comment on what all CMMOS does and if it works well with W-XP Pro?

3) While I normally backup/zip all original folders prior to making any changes, are there any other cautions I need to follow that I may not have thought of when making these changes? As far as running into performance problems, I suspect I'm ok that way with a P-IV 2.26 and 512 MB DDR RAM, video of GeForce IV TI-4400 w/128 MB. If anyone sees a potential problem though, I'd appreciate any comments on that.

I think that's all for now, but further comments beyond this are most appreciated. Again I do apologise for taking up valuable forum space on such rudimentary items, but hey, I guess we all have to start somewhere smile.gif . Thank you very much in advance.

Glenn

Originally posted by Glenn:

I'm one very happy camper!!! :D Got my copy of CMBO/CMBB today after the backorder of a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for the speedy service Battlefront! That was quick considering it had to clear Canadian Customs and all. Appreciate the efforts there. The games are outstanding (got the bundle) and the manual is equally as great!

OK, dumb question of the week time. Since I'm very new to this game, and I've read most posts regarding mods and definitely want to employ a good number of them, may I please pose a couple of questions on that here?

1) Are the tanks, uniforms, etc. that are used in winter the same ones used in summer in the game (thus the reason for the mods)? If so, I take it that each time you add a mod, you have to replace that unit with a season-specific version?

2) I've read some about CMMOS (?) and gather it is a very handy utility. I'm pretty much accustomed to making mod changes manually (in MS Flight Simulator) so I know exactly what is being changed, but with reference to Q1 above, that might get to be more than a small pain in the derriere if there is only one set of uniforms for all seasons. Could anyone please comment on what all CMMOS does and if it works well with W-XP Pro?

3) While I normally backup/zip all original folders prior to making any changes, are there any other cautions I need to follow that I may not have thought of when making these changes? As far as running into performance problems, I suspect I'm ok that way with a P-IV 2.26 and 512 MB DDR RAM, video of GeForce IV TI-4400 w/128 MB. If anyone sees a potential problem though, I'd appreciate any comments on that.

I think that's all for now, but further comments beyond this are most appreciated. Again I do apologise for taking up valuable forum space on such rudimentary items, but hey, I guess we all have to start somewhere smile.gif . Thank you very much in advance.

Glenn

1)Winter version are seperate.They only appear when it is a snowy battle.Nither game has winterised versions of anything other than terrain.Uniforms are easy,kinnda like universals for winter,i think one for allies and one for german,but not sure..Vehicle winter mods are,im sad to say,different.There are some winter packs that will winterise alot iat one time,but then there will be some individual vehicles you have to find and add.

2)Some swear by CMMOS,and others(i assume) like me hate it.I do it all manually as well.It is often tedious tho as alot of mods are CMMOS versions ONLY and that means you have to rename however many BMP's by hand so that they will simply overwrite the currnet bmp's.

3)you will have no problems with that machine. ;)

Hope this helps,any more questions,give a yell.

EDIT:

Oh,almost forgot!Get some sound mods,mainly for CMBO,there are some great ones out there and will really improve the atmosphere,lol :D

[ February 24, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: nevermind ]

Thank you VERY much for this!! Much appreciate the quick reply. I'm adding some Canadian mods and yeah, it looks like there will be some tedious work involved, but definitely worth it in the end. I'll also have a look for terrain mods as I understand those are really great.

Thanks once again,

Glenn

Ahh yeah! Great idea - thanks for the tip! I have made bat files to do the same thing in Flight Simulator so I'll just apply that to here.

One thing I didn't realize but I think I'm finding out now is that many of the uniform and vehicle textures have the same number from summer to winter (i.e. they don't switch from summer to winter unless you use manually switch them using whatever method), so I gather you yourself have to plug in what version you want for the scenario being played. Am I correct in this? I gather that is what CMMOS is designed to do using an interface for you then? And lastly, the bat file should be set up to "replace" (albeit I'm sure in not nearly as thorough a way) what CMMOS does?

Thanks Pud - really appreciate the heads-up here.

Glenn

Originally posted by Glenn:

One thing I didn't realize but I think I'm finding out now is that many of the uniform and vehicle textures have the same number from summer to winter (i.e. they don't switch from summer to winter unless you use manually switch them using whatever method), so I gather you yourself have to plug in what version you want for the scenario being played. Am I correct in this?

Glenn

Glenn,

Not entirely true. The winter and non-winter bitmap numbers are not the same, but they're close. smile.gif

I believe all winter bitmaps for uniforms and vehicles are preceeded with a "1".

For example, the non-winter german helmet bitmap file is 5015.bmp. The winter version of the german helmet is 15015.bmp. I'm quite certain almost all of the uniform and vehicle bitmaps follow this convention.

Terrian bitmaps, however, do not follow this convention for winter vs non-winter.

Lastly, my own 2 cents...I love CMMOS. I used to do exactly what you are doing and try to rename/manage the bitmaps manually. It quickly became a headache for me. I found CMMOS to be a fantastic tool for switching mods.

Note I said "switching" mods. I love to change mods periodically to give my vehicle/terrian/etc a different look and feel. If you are just interested in picking your favorite mod for a given vehicle or grass texture and sticking with it, then CMMOS may not be worth it.

Good luck, whichever route you decide.

Okaayy, thanks for this. I had a look in the CMBO bmp folder and couldn't find the numbers you mentioned. From the uniforms I downloaded from Michael Dorocher's site (thanks Mike! :D ), it would appear that you have to reload uniforms for the season, based on them having the same number but different suffixes (which are not carried over to the CMBO\BMP folder). However, the Mad Dog terrain mods I downloaded do not overlap for seasons (each has a discrete number), unless I read it wrong :eek: . I'll have to look into this further I guess, but I'm beginning to see your point about CMMOS. Probably once I get a set I really like, I'll stick to it, but the uniforms would change (if I'm right in my assumptions here) almost with each scenario because of seasonal changes, so CMMOS might turn out to be really important.

Thanks very much for this! I'll a good look once again to see if I can sort out the bmp files. Appreciate the help.

Glenn

Oooooops. My apologies Green Hornet - you were absolutely right about the uniform designations having the 5 digit number. I didn't see them in my CMBO bmp folder because you actually have to download them and install them - they aren't default files. Ahh me, the learning curve can be steep in the beginning :rolleyes: .

I need to make another correction - I spelled Michael Dorosh's name incorrectly. My apologies to you as well Michael.

Thanks very much for the help here Green Hornet. I'll spend more time reading and learning now rather than yakking ;) .

Glenn