Problem with Voodoo3 on PC (not Mac)

whoops, never mind -- could have sworn i was posting on the tech boards!

I am having a pretty severe problem with my Voodoo3 2000 on my PC. I understand there are known issues with that card on Mac and wanted to know if any pc users are having the same functionality (or lack thereof) that I am having.

My problem is basic -- the game locks up before even getting to the video resolution screen. The machine hard-locks, I have to power down and reboot.

Needless to say I am a little frustrated. I got the Voodoo3 card (without reading the boards so I have only myself to blame) because I my ATI 128 won't show fog.

The voodoo problem seems to be isolated to CM, current games such as Deus Ex and Diablo II run no problem on it.

Any suggestions from anyone? Thanks much in advance.

[This message has been edited by Olduvai (edited 06-29-2000).]

Hey Olduvai,

I have the same card. I did not have the problems you had when installing it and playing CM.

As a possible solution, perhaps reload the drivers and be sure to download and install the latest drivers. It will fix the blocky smoke.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help here.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frenchy:

Hey Olduvai,

I have the same card. I did not have the problems you had when installing it and playing CM.

As a possible solution, perhaps reload the drivers and be sure to download and install the latest drivers. It will fix the blocky smoke.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frenchy, which drivers are you using, and what's your processor configuration? I can't even get the game to load let alone get blocky explosions so you are on to something I'm not yet.

I am on the current non-beta drivers, which are 4.12.01.1222.

Thanks for your help.

I also have the voodoo3 2000 with no problems. And reinstalling the latest driver fixed the blocky smoke. Works great. It goes with a k62-400, 160 meg ram & soundblaster 128 pci.

Maybe your problem is something other than your video card?

I have the Voodoo 3 2000 too but have not had any problems running CM with it in my Celeron 366. I do get blocky smoke but intend to fix that problem once I get a new driver downloaded and installed. Ive just been too busy playing the game to bother installing new drivers smile.gif

Sounds like you have a directx issue which may be the cause of your problem.

Thanks for all the help guys. As one of the posts here suggested, the problem was not with the video card but with my settings. Win98 thought there were two monitors; there were not so that what was causing the freeze.

Thanks again