Allied Snipers - where do they fit in the OOB?

Stefan

To all allied OOB experts -

I see snipers are included in some of the German formations but never in the allied ones (maybe I miised it). - Could someone tell me how the allies "managed" snipers?

Was there one per Compnay? One per Platoon?Was it that the best rifleman in a platoon was allocated with a scope and hence became a sniper? Where they attached to the Battalion and allocated on a as-needed basis?

Any info from the experts would be great.

------------------

No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy

Apparently sharpshooters were an adhoc addition, by drafting an NCO with a good shooting record. US forces did not seem to use actual sniper teams, or at least it did not show up in the biggest Infantry books or in historical accounts.

Interestingly, the Germans tried to get snipers banned by the major war conventions. German policy was to execute all snipers caught in uniform or out. About a thousand French soldiers were shot in World War One for being "Francs-Tiruer" (sp?). The German definition of sniper in WW1 and WW2 was anyone who fires a weapon from a hidden location without support from a larger unit.

[This message has been edited by Slapdragon (edited 09-22-2000).]

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>German policy was to execute all sniper caught in uniform or out...The German definition of sniper in WW1 and WW2 was anyone who fires a weapon from a hidden location without support from a larger unit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, so that is why they shot practically every Russian on sight. wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

A sharpshooter is a member of a unit that shoots well. A sniper is a trained shooter who holds a full time job at it.

My data is at an end with this: all I have is that some NCOs were selected to act as sharpshooters if and when it was needed. Also: many special sniper rifles did not reach field unit: they had a tendency to "stick" in the rear area and get used for sports shooting and be carried by General officers (in the US Army).

IIRC, from various sources I've read in the past (which I can't recall the titles of)... Some companies were issued a number of Springfield 1903 scoped rifles to be issued at the CO's discretion to soldiers who had excellent marksman skills for use as snipers/sharpshooters. This would go along with the adhoc idea. The rifles were not standard issue, as all companies or units did not receive them, just scattered units here and there.

IMO, this is why the guy in Saving Private Ryan carries one.

Stefan wrote:

> In my books snipers and sharpshooters are the same.... I guess they are not so what is the distinction?

I just answered basically the same question in the other current thread on snipers:

At witch distance a sniper can shoot

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."