Handy Mouse Tip

My friend in New York, who I knew would love CM, could never see his mouse cursor in the Beta demo, hence curbing his interest. I passed on all of the tips I'd seen here, but he had no luck.

I downloaded the Gold (with much glee) last night and all of a sudden I had the same problem. I have the standard cursors on, and I saw no reason for the problem (yet the game was essentially unplayable). However, sheer luck solved my problem:

I pressed ESC within the game, minimzing it to the toolbar. When I reopened it, the mouse was there. Works every time. I'm going to pass this info to my friend, and perhaps it can help others here too.

GAFF

Good thought, Boris, but I actually have a 16 Meg 3D card (not a great one though). I suppose it could be that I only have 32 Megs of RAM on the computer itself.

Anyway, I've found my solution (minimizing - then maximizing), so I'm not in any panic.

I truly feel pain though for the lost souls who can't run the demo at all. I've had similar frustrations, but thankfully never with the Mighty CM.

Guest Big Time Software

Gaffertape - what kind of video card do you have? What version of DirectX? Are you sure you have the most recent drivers for your card?

Charles

Cool, Charles wrote to me!

Charles, I have the Creative Labs Voodoo Blaster Banshee (16 Meg), and I have DirectX version 7.

I think my drivers are fairly new, but I will update them again just in case. Thanks to Charles and Boris.

PS Charles, if I win 10 million in the Ontario 649 tonight, BTS can count on a decent investment to ensure that we all get to see CM well into the future.

Guest Charles

I had a similar problem, except instead of no cursor, I get the hourglass cursor instead of a pointer. The problem was solved by hitting escape and returning to the game.

My setup is V3 2000 PCI, 64 MB ram, DirectX 7.0a

And, yes, I get transparent smoke! smile.gif

------------------

Not THE Charles from BTS

No problem with my Pentium II 300 with a TNT 32 meg video card but on my P266mmx computer with a voodoo 3 16 meg video card the curser would disappear when the CM screen appeared. When I put mouse pointer on default setting the problem disappeared smile.gif

I had been using a larger mouse pointer before and that could of been the problem in my case.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gaffertape:

Cool, Charles wrote to me!

Charles, I have the Creative Labs Voodoo Blaster Banshee (16 Meg), and I have DirectX version 7.

I think my drivers are fairly new, but I will update them again just in case. Thanks to Charles and Boris.

PS Charles, if I win 10 million in the Ontario 649 tonight, BTS can count on a decent investment to ensure that we all get to see CM well into the future.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was it not last night?

Guest Big Time Software

gaffer - does that mean that you switched to the 'standard' cursor and that fixed the problem?

Charles

Charles,

No. Someone else on this post mentioned something about cursor size, but I've never used anything but the standard cursor. When I start the game I don't see the mouse cursor (on any game screen). To resolve this, all I do is minimize using ESC, and when I maximize it again my mouse cursor is there (and it stays there and works properly).

I really don't consider this an inconvenience at all guys - I merely thought I could help someone else who had this problem.

Guest Hack022

I had this same problem. Downloaded the current mouse driver from microsoft and the problem is gone. give it a try.

Guest kip anderson

Hi,

the exact same problem hit me and I got round it the same way, hitting Esc and then relaunching from the taskbar.

Video card is a Voodoo 3000, 16 MB.

Stunning game!

All the best,

Kip.