German Cavalry

Does anyone have any information regarding the use of German Cavalry in ww2? What roles they were used for and what important engagements they took place in?

There was a rather splendid thread on Soviet Cavalry a few days ago but with German cavalry my knowledge is hazy.

I wondered if anyone could enlighten me?

Cheers

_dumbo

[This message has been edited by dumbo (edited 08-25-2000).]

Guest Mr. Johnson-<THC>-

well I think the SS had one whole division on the eastern front. When used properly they did great. The were used extensivly in the Priepet (sp?) Marshes area. Working closely with Pionneers and infantry they put up a great showing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dumbo:

Does anyone have any information regarding the use of German Cavalry in ww2? What roles they were used for and what important engagements they took place in?

Cheers

_dumbo

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dumbo below is a list of German Waffen SS & HEER Cavalry formations. Note the Germans formed Cossak Calvalry Div's as well.

I have not provided operational details but the list may help you research the formations easier. Most German Cavalry formations were used as security forces to counter partisan's in the Armee Group sectors. The Cossack Divs first role was guarding Soviet POWs to free up German troops etc.

Waffen SS Cavalry Divisions.

-8th SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer. Was formed in Sept 1942.

-22nd SS Freiwilligen Cavalry Division. Formed in April 1944.

-27th SS Cavalry Division. Formed Febuary 1945.

HEER Calvalry Formations

-1st Cavalry Division. Formed 25.10.39. Absorbed by the 24th Panzer Division on 28.11.41.

- 1st Cossak Division. Formed on 04.08.43 with a German staff & Platow Cossak Calvalry Regt.& von Jungsschulz Cossak Calvalry Regt. In 1944 it was restructured with the 2nd Cossak Division and renamed the SS Kossack Cavalry Corps.

-2nd Cossack Division. Formed in November 1944 from the 2nd Cossack Cavalry Brigade.

-3rd Cavalry Division. Formed Febuary 1945, from the 3rd Caqvalry Brigade. Surrendered May 1945 to US forces at Graz.

-4th Cavalry Division. Formed Febuary 1945. Surrendered to UK forces May 1945.

-Nord Cavalry Division. Formed 01.06.43 by Army Group North from various Cavalry, Infantry,Recon, & bicycle formations. Renamed 5th Reiter Regt in 1944.

-Mitte Cavalry Regiment. Formed by Armee Group Center in 1942 as a security force. Became part of the 3rd Cavalry Brigade in March 1944.

-1st Cavalry Brigade. Originaly the 5th Reiter Brigade; formed on 10.01.34 (Oct 1 1934). It was then Mobilized & Renamed as 1st Cavalry Brigade on 01.08.39.

-3rd Cavalry Brigade. Formed March 1944 from Cavalry Regt Mitte.

-4th Cavalry Brigade. Formed 29.05.44 by Armee Group Center from various formations.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

People who can smile when things go wrong

have found someone else to blame.

[This message has been edited by PzKpfw 1 (edited 08-25-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

Thanks, John, for the listing. I hadn't realized there were so many cavalry formations in German service.

Michael

Get this-it's on my 2000 Ghosts (old warbirds) calendar.

23 August, 1942-Russians flee from last cavalry in history. At Izbushensky, 600 mounted men of the Italian Savoy Cavalry-with sabres and hand grenades-charge about 2000 Russians armed with mortars and machine guns.

Must've been something to watch...

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dumbo:

WOW! Never heard about that italian cavalry charge. Must have been something indeed.

_dumbo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, probably lasted all of about 30 seconds. Lotta horsemeat afterwards...

Michael