Suggestion: Armor penetration graphic.

Hi All!

First, I didn't do a search on this, since I didn't know where to begin. I would, however, be a little surprised if I was the first one to think of this.

I noticed a few people commenting on the fact that they had lost a tank/AFV, while not really knowing at first glance who got it, and where it was hit. God knows, it happened to me!

Wouldn't it be cool/possible to have a "decal" appear on the spot where a tank is penetrated (like a hole with jagged edges). Everytime an artillery shell hits the ground you get a crater. Given this it doesn't seem too difficult to apply this to anti-tank rounds and vehicles (I might be wrong here. Not really my line of work you know, coding and software).

------------------

Combat Axiom 46. Do unto others, before they do unto you.

Would make sense wouldn't it? If a crater graphic can show up, why not paste a penetration hole on an AFV?

This of course, would have to wait for a patch.

I for one know what you mean. A recent game of CE I played, one of my Shermans got knocked out directly behind the Church and I NEVER saw where the projectile came from. In fact the Sherman should have been out of LOS from anything.

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

Guest Big Time Software

Well, you got two things right JuJu... yes this has been covered before, and yeah it would be cool if it could happen. But it won't happen any time soon. The programming involved to do this is far from tivial. The crater on the ground thing is not comparable code ways. I wouldn't expect this to happen any time soon unfortunately. Most certainly not in a patch, probably not even for CM2.

Steve

I actually kinda like the way it is now.

Sure, the crew would probably know what direction the shell came from, but if the crew bails out of the tank, or are all killed, they are not able to "radio" this info to you.

As a commander, I see my tank get knocked out but unless I saw the flash of the gun, I have to wait until my other units can identify where the shot came from.

Just my $.0195

------------------

Dan

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DanE:

Sure, the crew would probably know what direction the shell came from, but if the crew bails out of the tank, or are all killed, they are not able to "radio" this info to you<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder. In a buttoned tank, it would be pretty hard to tell much more than one of the 4 major compass positions, anyway.

Bang! Hole in side. The driver is concentrating on his tiny FOV forward, gunner can only see where the main gun is pointing, and the TC not much more (the loader can't see a damn thing, if he's still alive).

Flank and rear shots would be shocking and puzzling. I did just read about an LT in Korea who figured the location of some distant Commie guns by lining up the holes through the lead tank. The crew survivors didn't know what had hit them.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

I wonder. In a buttoned tank, it would be pretty hard to tell much more than one of the 4 major compass positions, anyway.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is what I am talking about. The crew can tell you which side the shell hit because that is where the hole is. biggrin.gif

------------------

Dan

I think the damage graphic would be hard to do because, if I recall, the vehicle graphics are reversed from side to side...Meaning what you see on the right side is the left side reversed? make sense? so you would have a hole going all the way through the tank? I hope I'm at least partly right on this... smile.gif

------------------

"It's a hardball world son. We've got to keep our heads until this peace craze blows over."