Photo Realistic graphics mod

TeAcH

Id like to pose a question to all of the pro-mod-sters out there. Is it possible to convert photos into .bmps for use in CM? and will they look good?

I'm wondering how the terrain would look if a photo of grass (say 20x20 top down) was used. Maybe this was already done or attempted.

TeAcH

I don't know about grass, but buildings should be definitely possible. It's just a question of finding the right photographs.

------------------

Der ver zwei peanuts, valking down der Strasse, and von vas...assaulted! peanut. Ho-ho-ho-ho.

teach,

It probably wouldn't work too well for a couple reasons:

- unless you happen to get the same lighting on all your shots, it would require touching-up/altering every image so that the colour, shadows, etc. is all consistent (a lot of work!)

- when you size the photos down (some to only about 128x128 pixels) they lose most of their detail anyways.

That said, a lot of the textures in CM, both originals and mods, are based on photos and then tweaked in a paint program.

And, if you have a super powerful system and graphics card you could try to make a set of very high-res textures that would preserve a lot of the photo's detail - but I don't think there are enough people with those systems to warrant the time spent on a project like that - at least not yet!

So in a way you're right - photos are a big part of the textures in CM, but nice photos alone won't guarantee a nice looking mod.