The Russian weaapon I never saw in wargames...

rum

PTR, russian abbreviation of "Anti-Tank Rifle".

Was widely used in defence, at the first years of war. Actualy, with the famous "45 mm" antitank gun was a mainstay of russian tank defense for at least first year. Was reasonably effectife against PzKpfw II, III, and 38(t). This weapon was carried by team of two. Had much greater range then any Panzerschreck or Bazooka, was nearly as hard to spot as a sniper team.

Its drawbacks were slow ROF, and limited armor piercing ability.

You never played Talonsoft's East Front? The Russian TOE was crawling (literaly) with verdamnt ATR squads! Every time I played the Barbarossa random campaign as German, they were coming at me left and --- er --- left!

And yes, they often whacked my PzII's and III's --- usually when I needed them most...

I find the ATR-platoons somewhat inefficient in EF & EFII, unless you get a rearshot at a tank. You'll find those units in almost every scenario when it comes to Talonsoft's EF. They're great games, you should try'em against a human opponet. Hours of hard battle...

I can remeber distinctly the horror I felt as my PTRD plinked off the rear armor of MK IIs in Close Combat 3. Also note that they can be picked up over the internet now for about $1500.

WWB

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wwb_99:

I can remeber distinctly the horror I felt as my PTRD plinked off the rear armor of MK IIs in Close Combat 3. Also note that they can be picked up over the internet now for about $1500.

WWB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point, wheres my credit card. I could really give my neighbour a scare as he drove off to work... Muhahaha. smile.gif

------------------

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

I actually got a kill of sorts w/one of these in CC-III. It was in the opening battle (can't remember the name), and my opponent got a little frisky w/his StuG III. My ATR team had decent cover and good concealment and started banging away (love that "KLONK!" sound effect in CC-III when your shot doesn't penetrate). The tank crew couln't spot my ATR team, and eventually had enough and bailed out (so much for the Master Race smile.gif)

------------------

Homer: [gulps] I suppose you want to probe me. Well, might as well get it over with. [unzips his pants]

Kang: [disgusted] Stop! We have reached the limits of what rectal probing can teach us.