My Mouse Broke.....

Griffen,

The mouse that broke was an optical mouse. The IR diode went out. I am sending it to MS as the warranty is lifetime.

Tonight is the night I call him and discuss protocol and our first meeting.

I would like to tape it. My secretary could then transcribe it for me. We have guys in the office who use the small recorders all the time. Monty, our CFO, is a fanatic about it. He looks like a mad man pacing around his office recording letters for Mary to transcribe (Ahh, lovely Mary. I just dig Mary, I taught her Excel Advanced and some VBA, she is my buddy.).

I already mentioned CM (A historical WW2 company level simulator) to him.

I have to thank Dr. Vernon Williams of Abeliene Christian University, he is the guy that heads up the 12th AD Society and got me Francis' phone number.

I got the "Willies Hammer" smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Wilhammer (edited 10-10-2000).]

Good luck. My grandfathers (one still living) were Canadian tank commanders. One KIA Jun 6,'44 near Juno, Sqn B Fort Garry Horse Guards. The other Govenor Generals Horse Guards, North Africa and Italy - "D-Day Dodger! He's ok about telling stories. He always reinforces what you guys say about German tanks. They fire, it bounces off, then run like hell and try to gey a flanking shot. Trees are good!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by russellmz:

somebody actually thinks the rep deple system was a good idea?!

you are talking about the single man system to replace causalties?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quoting the book... "Although American unit training was not ideally conducted due to the need for replacements for units already in combat, it nevertheless basically satisfied the requirements of cohesion and bonding by ensuring that most of the soldiers in combat formations had served and trained together for a considerable amount of time prior to deployment to a combat theater." By lumping recently deployed divisions with combat-hardened divisions, on AVERAGE, most soldiers did train together as a combat formation. In his defense, the book was originally presented as his doctoral thesis, so he didn't want to raise any issues that didn't support his thesis. So... he forces the facts to fit the story.

As Stephen Ambrose notes in his writings, the system was horrible since it assigned all new guys in the theter to a generic "by-trade" pool to be assigned on a first come first serve basis. It is that portion of the replacement system that was horrible, for the individuals especially.

Contrast that with the German system which basically let a unit get wiped out so that replacements were essentially reinforcements, if one uses the definition of reinforcements as "units" versus replacements, which are "individuals soldiers".

Which system is better?

Depends on your goals. I am sure the reson for the American system is to keep the press from being able to report that a unit was "wiped out". The replacement system prevented that.